1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Is it more prudent to get a a second Bachelors or a Masters?

1. Dec 29, 2017 #1
    Hi Y'all,

Hope all is well for the holidays.

I am a senior and headed toward a BS in Biochemistry. But I have been doing research with a guy who does environmental remediation for 2 years. I think that that is where my heart lies. I want to develop more specialization especially because my school does not offer any environmental chemistry or engineering.

I would want to get the Masters in Environmental engineering but I heard in some states you cannot be licensed if you do not have a Bachelors in Engineering. Is that a real hinderance?

I looked at some local Bachelors of Environmental Engineering in my area and I think that I could finish in 2.5 or 3 years tops, which might be how long I would need for the Master's anyway since I don't have all the pre-reqs. Is this worthwhile?

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2017 #2
    You might want to check with your Professional Engineering Organization's requirements to become licensed.

Depending on the school your applying for, the MASc. program may only require you obtain a BASc. degree (not necessarily in Environmental engineering). It is best to check program acceptance requirement for your school.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted