Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Is it more prudent to get a a second Bachelors or a Masters?

1. Dec 29, 2017 #1
    Hi Y'all,

Hope all is well for the holidays.

I am a senior and headed toward a BS in Biochemistry. But I have been doing research with a guy who does environmental remediation for 2 years. I think that that is where my heart lies. I want to develop more specialization especially because my school does not offer any environmental chemistry or engineering.

I would want to get the Masters in Environmental engineering but I heard in some states you cannot be licensed if you do not have a Bachelors in Engineering. Is that a real hinderance?

I looked at some local Bachelors of Environmental Engineering in my area and I think that I could finish in 2.5 or 3 years tops, which might be how long I would need for the Master's anyway since I don't have all the pre-reqs. Is this worthwhile?

Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2017 #2
    You might want to check with your Professional Engineering Organization's requirements to become licensed.

Depending on the school your applying for, the MASc. program may only require you obtain a BASc. degree (not necessarily in Environmental engineering). It is best to check program acceptance requirement for your school.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted