1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Physics bachelors to Engineering masters

1. Jun 15, 2017 #1
    Can one do a physics bachelor's degree and carry on to pursue a master's in engineering? I was wondering if this would be a feasible and practical route.. I understand that I'd probably have to take a couple of extra engineering classes here and there but was thinking it probably wouldn't be several years worth of catching up since I am a physics major anyway; so it's not something so wild like jumping from an art degree to engineering

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My experience is that most engineering departments would want you to take a couple of years of undergraduate engineering classes before they will talk to you.

4. Jun 16, 2017 #3
    My experience is that needing a couple of years of catchup is overkill, they will want you to take a few undergrad courses more related to your focus area before you move on to graduate level engineering though.

5. Jun 16, 2017 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Many of our physics majors go on to do a master's in engineering. IIRC they usually take two years to finish it, maybe 2.5.

6. Jun 16, 2017 #5
    Actually I took this route: bachelor's degree in physics and master's degree in electrical and electronics engineering. They did not require me to take all the courses to catch up with the curriculum; however, my research was based on plasmonics (a sub-field of optics). Thus most of the work I did was closely related to physics. Through my study I learned programming in Matlab and some signal analysis stuff.

7. Jun 16, 2017 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's good to know. I am happy that there may be more options for the OP. I went from a PhD in pure math to Industrial Engineering (Operations Research oriented). They were the only engineering department that seemed interested in me. It was the best move I ever made.

8. Jun 16, 2017 #7
    I suspect that much will depend on the particular engineering degree the OP wants to pursue. If he were to want to go into mechanical engineering design or thermal machinery, I think that there would be a whole lot of junior and senior level undergraduate courses required just to have the necessary background to understand the graduate courses.

9. Jun 16, 2017 #8
    Long ago, when I was in graduate school, there was a fellow with an MA in Math who came into the OR graduate program (which happened to be in the ME department). He did very well, and I think he finished a PhD in OR, but I've lost track of him.

10. Jun 16, 2017 #9

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After doing a bachelor's in physics and a master's in abstract theoretical physics (group theory, abstract associative algebras), my wife did a master's in materials science engineering at a good Canadian school (University of Toronto). She did not have to take very many (if any) remedial courses.

11. Jun 16, 2017 #10

analogdesign

Science Advisor

The amount of remedial work you need depends so much on the school it is hard for any of us to give advice.

At my graduate school a friend of mine had a physics BS and took the equivalent of a semester's worth of remedial undergraduate engineering classes to catch up. Your experience may vary.

12. Jun 16, 2017 #11
    OP is a she, just fyi lol. 'nyways, mechanical eng is what i've been considering, but that can of course change. Nothing too definite as of yet, just trying to see what options i have after finishing my bachelor's..

13. Jun 17, 2017 #12
    Shoot, I had to take a year of undergrad Physics courses to go from a BS Physics at LSU to grad school in Physics at MIT. The department did not require it, but the step up in rigor from LSU to MIT made it a good choice, and I would have been swamped in the grad Physics courses at MIT without the extra year of undergrad courses.

But I suspect it depends a lot on the rigor of the coursework in the grad program and how heavily it depends on undergrad engineering coursework that is not similar to what the physics major got. I expect that there are plenty of Masters programs in engineering out there where a graduate of a rigorous Physics BS program could do very well without taking any (or many) undergrad engineering courses.

14. Jun 17, 2017 #13
    Perhaps you should clarify what year you are in now. Many physics majors often take a number of elective courses in a minor concentration anyway (even if it doesn't fulfill requirements for an official minor degree): math, EE, and CS are common. I took a heavy dose of materials science and engineering courses, since I planned to concentrate on solid-state physics; I could have easily switched to a MS materials science and engineering program if I had wanted to. Unless you're a senior, fill up your electives with ME courses, if that's what you're interested in pursuing.

15. Jun 18, 2017 #14
    Great info, thanks a lot! I'm in a junior college right now but will be transferring soon, so I have time to fill up my electives once i transfer

16. Jun 22, 2017 #15
    Also note that some engineering programs have engineering physics or physics sub specialties. I am getting a EE masters from a physics bachelors. Because I am doing solid state device physics, the only overhead I have to deal with is taking a couple courses outside of device physics in circuits and signal processing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted