Is it okay to treat dy/dx as a fraction when solving for derivatives?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Nano-Passion
Messages
1,291
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Am I right to treat dy/dx as a fraction in this scenerio?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution




[tex]= \frac{\frac{-dy}{dx}} {(\frac{dy}{dx})^2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\frac{-dy}{dx}} {\frac{dy}{dx} (\frac{dy}{dx})}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}}[/tex]

Also, would we be able to multiple out dy/dx if we had for example:

[tex]2 = \frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}}[/tex]
[tex]2(\frac{dy}{dx}) = 1[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nano-Passion said:

Homework Statement


Am I right to treat dy/dx as a fraction in this scenerio?
Sure.
Nano-Passion said:

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution




[tex]= \frac{\frac{-dy}{dx}} {(\frac{dy}{dx})^2}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{\frac{-dy}{dx}} {\frac{dy}{dx} (\frac{dy}{dx})}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}}[/tex]
What happened to the minus sign?

Note that you can simplify 1/(dy/dx).
Nano-Passion said:
Also, would we be able to multiple out dy/dx if we had for example:

[tex]2 = \frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}}[/tex]
[tex]2(\frac{dy}{dx}) = 1[/tex]
Sure. And if the goal is to solve for dy/dx, divide both sides of the last equation by 2.
 
Mark44 said:
Sure.
What happened to the minus sign?
Simple mis-type.

Note that you can simplify 1/(dy/dx).
Like this?
[tex]=\frac{dx}{dy}[/tex]

Which would read change of x with respect to y.. Hmm, I'm not used to it being like that.

[tex]=\frac{dx}{dy} = lim_{Δx→0} \frac{Δx}{Δy}[/tex]
[tex]= lim_{Δx→0} \frac{Δx}{f(x+Δx) - f(x)}[/tex]
[tex]= f'(y)[/tex]

Is what I stated correct?

Sure. And if the goal is to solve for dy/dx, divide both sides of the last equation by 2.


Oh okay, thank you! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't violating any rules here pertaining to derivatives.
 
Last edited:
Nano-Passion said:
Simple mis-type.


Like this?
[tex]=\frac{dx}{dy}[/tex]

Which would read change of x with respect to y.. Hmm, I'm not used to it being like that.

[tex]=\frac{dx}{dy} = lim_{Δx→0} \frac{Δx}{Δy}[/tex]
No, the limit would be as Δy→0. Here the assumption would be that x is some function of y.
Nano-Passion said:
[tex]= lim_{Δx→0} \frac{Δx}{f(x+Δx) - f(x)}[/tex]
[tex]= f'(y)[/tex]

Is what I stated correct?




Oh okay, thank you! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't violating any rules here pertaining to derivatives.