Are these the correct expressions for ## dF/dy' ##?

In summary, the expressions for ## dF/dy' ## are: a) ## \frac{1}{4}(1+y'^2)^{\frac{-3}{4}}\cdot 2y' ## b) ## cos (y') ## c) ## e^{y'} ##
Math100
Homework Statement
Find the expressions for ## dF/dy' ## when
a) ## F(y')=(1+y'^2)^{\frac{1}{4}} ##
b) ## F(y')=sin (y') ##
c) ## F(y')=exp(y') ##
Relevant Equations
None.
a) ## dF/dy'=\frac{1}{4}(1+y'^2)^{\frac{-3}{4}}\cdot 2y' ##
b) ## dF/dy'=cos (y') ##

I just took the derivatives above and found out these expressions, but may anyone please check/verify to see if these expressions for ## dF/dy' ## are correct? Also, I do not understand part c). What does 'exp' indicate in here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math100 said:
Homework Statement: Find the expressions for ## dF/dy' ## when
a) ## F(y')=(1+y'^2)^{\frac{1}{4}} ##
b) ## F(y')=sin (y') ##
c) ## F(y')=exp(y') ##
Relevant Equations: None.

a) ## dF/dy'=\frac{1}{4}(1+y'^2)^{\frac{-3}{4}}\cdot 2y' ##
b) ## dF/dy'=cos (y') ##

I just took the derivatives above and found out these expressions, but may anyone please check/verify to see if these expressions for ## dF/dy' ## are correct? Also, I do not understand part c). What does 'exp' indicate in here?
##\exp(y')## means ##e^{y'}.##

What you wrote is correct, but why is there a prime at the ##y##'s? The same could be written with just ##y## or ##t## as the variable name. ##y'## normally indicates a derivative.

Likes WWGD and Math100
fresh_42 said:
##\exp(y')## means ##e^{y'}.##

What you wrote is correct, but why is there a prime at the ##y##'s? The same could be written with just ##y## or ##t## as the variable name. ##y'## normally indicates a derivative.
I don't know either. So what should the book normally express these primes then, instead? Also, if ## exp(y') ## mean ## e^{y'} ##. Then the expression for ## dF/dy' ## is ## dF/dy'=e^{y'} ##?

Math100 said:
I don't know either. So what should the book normally express these primes then, instead? Also, if ## exp(y') ## mean ## e^{y'} ##. Then the expression for ## dF/dy' ## is ## dF/dy'=e^{y'} ##?
Yes.

Likes Math100
fresh_42 said:
Yes.
Thank you so much for verifying!

1. What is the meaning of ##dF/dy'##?

##dF/dy'## is the notation used to represent the derivative of the function ##F## with respect to the variable ##y'##. This means that we are looking at how the function changes as the value of ##y'## changes.

2. Why is it important to know if these are the correct expressions for ##dF/dy'##?

It is important to know if these are the correct expressions for ##dF/dy'## because derivatives are used in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. Having the correct expressions allows us to accurately calculate rates of change and make predictions about how a system will behave.

3. How do you determine if these are the correct expressions for ##dF/dy'##?

To determine if these are the correct expressions for ##dF/dy'##, you can use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative of the function ##F## with respect to ##y'##. You can then compare this result to the given expressions to see if they match.

4. Can the expressions for ##dF/dy'## change depending on the function ##F##?

Yes, the expressions for ##dF/dy'## can change depending on the function ##F##. Different functions have different rules for differentiation, so the expressions for the derivative will vary depending on the function being evaluated.

5. How can knowing the correct expressions for ##dF/dy'## be applied in real-world situations?

Knowing the correct expressions for ##dF/dy'## can be applied in real-world situations in many ways. For example, in physics, these expressions can be used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion. In economics, they can be used to analyze changes in supply and demand. In general, they allow us to better understand how systems change and evolve over time.