Is it possible to convert 2D coordinates of point to 3D form ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of representing 3D points into 2D and vice versa without causing distortions. The transformation process is not invertible and can result in loss of information. Different embeddings can be used to preserve certain properties. The difficulty in understanding homographic transformation and perspective mapping is also mentioned.
ramdas
Hello everyone ,i have captured car positons at differents frames.http://www.imagesup.net/pt-7140205392313.png%5D%5BIMG%5Dhttp://www.imagesup.net/dt-7140205392313.png
Suppose car's(left side car which is coming towards us) centroid is at video frame1 is P(x1,y1) and Q(x2,y2) at video frame4.

1.Is it possible to represent P and Q points into 3D? so that i can calculate correct pixel distance d(PQ)?
Note:u can assume that camera is stationary, placed at height 10 m from ground level .u can also assume any suitable data if u want

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not without additional assumptions. When you convert from 3D to 2D (e.g. taking a photograph) you lose information. You would have to have information not in the photo to recover that lost information.

To add to what HallsofIvy said, if your transformation is linear, it is not invertible, by dimension reasons. And similarly for homeomorphisms (or local homeomorphisms/diffeomorphisms ,which I assume you would want if you want to preserve some properties), not even injective (i.e., 1-1) , continuous maps, by a kind of difficult result called invariance of domain. So you basically cannot go from 3D to 2D without causing distortions. To go from 2D to 3D, you may use an embedding, like, say, (a,b) -->(a,b,0). There are many embeddings, and your choice would depend on the properties you want to preserve.

sir its getting difficult to understand Homographic transformation

WWGD said:
To add to what HallsofIvy said, if your transformation is linear, it is not invertible, by dimension reasons. And similarly for homeomorphisms (or local homeomorphisms/diffeomorphisms ,which I assume you would want if you want to preserve some properties), not even injective (i.e., 1-1) , continuous maps, by a kind of difficult result called invariance of domain. So you basically cannot go from 3D to 2D without causing distortions. To go from 2D to 3D, you may use an embedding, like, say, (a,b) -->(a,b,0). There are many embeddings, and your choice would depend on the properties you want to preserve.

sir its getting difficult to understand Homographic transformation and Perspective Mapping.i searched pdf on google,but not getting idea about it.

Yes, it is possible to convert 2D coordinates of a point to 3D form. This process is known as 3D coordinate transformation and involves using mathematical equations and data from the camera to determine the 3D coordinates of the point.

To calculate the correct pixel distance between P and Q, we would need additional information such as the focal length of the camera, the camera's field of view, and the resolution of the image. With this information, we can use trigonometry and other mathematical techniques to determine the 3D coordinates of P and Q and then calculate the distance between them in 3D space.

Assuming the camera is stationary and placed at a height of 10 meters from the ground level, we can use this information to help determine the 3D coordinates of P and Q. However, we would still need the other necessary data mentioned above to accurately calculate the distance between them in 3D space.

In conclusion, it is possible to convert 2D coordinates of a point to 3D form and calculate the correct pixel distance between two points, but it requires the use of additional data and mathematical techniques.

1. Can any 2D coordinate be converted into 3D form?

Yes, any 2D coordinate can be converted into 3D form by adding a z-coordinate to the existing x and y coordinates. This z-coordinate represents the depth or height of the point in 3D space.

2. How do I convert 2D coordinates to 3D if I only have the x and y values?

To convert 2D coordinates to 3D, you can add a default value for the z-coordinate, such as 0, if the point is on the ground plane. Alternatively, you can use a mathematical formula or transformation matrix to calculate the z-coordinate based on the x and y values.

3. Is it possible to convert 2D coordinates to 3D without any mathematical calculations?

No, converting 2D coordinates to 3D requires some form of mathematical calculation. This can be done manually or through the use of computer algorithms and programs.

4. Can I convert a 2D point to a 3D point if I don't know the orientation of the 2D plane?

Yes, it is possible to convert a 2D point to a 3D point even if the orientation of the 2D plane is unknown. However, the resulting 3D point may not accurately reflect the real-world position of the point if the orientation is incorrect.

5. What is the benefit of converting 2D coordinates to 3D?

The main benefit of converting 2D coordinates to 3D is being able to represent and work with objects in three-dimensional space. This is essential in many fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and architecture.