Is it possible to do MSc and BSc at the same time?

In summary, Ghim Wei Ho (http://www.esp.nus.edu.sg/Research/Biography_Dr%20Ho.htm ) is a professor at NUS and she completed her undergraduate and masters degrees in Germany. She received her Ph.D. degree in Engineering from (censored) in 2007.
Defennder
Homework Helper
I was looking through my college's staff listing and came across one of my professors. I read a short biography and it read like:
She received her Ph.D. degree in Engineering from (censored) in 2007, M.Sc and B. Sc. from (censored) in 2001.

What does this mean? That she graduated with an MSc the same time she completed her BSc?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I assume:

BSc: 3 Years (2001 - 2003)
MSc: 1 Year (2004)
PhD: 3 Years (2005-2007)

I read it as:

B.S. received 2001
M.S. received 2001
Ph.D. received 2007

Some universities offer dual B.S./M.S. programs in which the student receives a master's at the same time as a bachelor's by staying (usually) an extra year. In other words, it took the professor 5 years (assumed, since that's typical) to earn her B.S. and M.S., and 6 additional years to earn her Ph.D.

Is there any difference between delaying graduation for one year just so you can receive both MS and BS together or just doing BS first then followed by MS immediately?

Defennnder said:
Is there any difference between delaying graduation for one year just so you can receive both MS and BS together or just doing BS first then followed by MS immediately?
The only difference I could think of would be tuition, if the tuition for graduate schools is much more than undergrad. In that case, one would stay an undergrad while taking graduate level courses, and then apply to the graduate program for the last year to satisfy the minimum requirements for registration.

I bet it's a typo.

There are programs for this. The Naval Academy has one where you go full time to the Academy and part time to Maryland during your junior and senior years, getting your BS in May and MS in December.

It can also be that she was AWARDED the BS in 2001 but actually completed it in 2000. I don't know what it is like in the US but here it can occasionally take a couple of months (or more) to get all the paperwork sorted even after you have fulfilled all the requirements.

Did the professor do her undergrad/MSc in Germany? (or any number of other European countries with a similar system?) A "diplom" there is equivalent to an American B.Sc + M.Sc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplom

I don't know how it works in other universities/countries, but I am doing one of the undergraduate masters courses mentioned. I get awarded an M.Sc at the end of it but no B.Sc

matthyaouw said:
I don't know how it works in other universities/countries, but I am doing one of the undergraduate masters courses mentioned. I get awarded an M.Sc at the end of it but no B.Sc

I thought undergrad masters degrees were MSci degrees, in order to differentiate them between the year long taught masters degrees (MSc)?

Actually mine's an Mphysgeog as it's a physical geography degree, but that's a bit of a mouth full so I normally just say MSc if anyone asks. I didn't know that differentiation existed.

Hmm ok thanks guys. Just wondering.

Person in question is Ghim Wei Ho ( http://www.esp.nus.edu.sg/Research/Biography_Dr%20Ho.htm [Broken] ) at NUS.

Not sure how it is in Singapore but in Australia it's possible to do a Bach. of Engineering and a Masters of Biomedical Engineering (coursework) in one five year stretch and graduate with both degrees at the conclusion.
So perhaps they have some arrangement like that there (or one of the many plausable explanations postd above).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can I pursue both an MSc and BSc degree simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to do MSc and BSc at the same time. Many universities offer dual degree programs where students can complete both degrees within a shorter time frame.

2. How long does it take to complete both degrees?

The duration of completing both degrees varies depending on the university and program. Typically, it can take anywhere from 4-6 years to complete both degrees at the same time.

3. Will I have to pay double the tuition fees?

It depends on the university and program. Some universities offer a discounted tuition rate for dual degree students, while others may require paying full tuition for both degrees. It is best to check with the university for their specific policies.

4. Will I have to take extra courses or credit hours?

Most likely, yes. Pursuing both degrees at the same time may require taking additional courses or credit hours to fulfill the requirements for both degrees. However, this may vary depending on the university and program.

5. Is it worth pursuing both degrees at the same time?

It depends on your goals and career aspirations. Pursuing both degrees simultaneously can provide you with a broader range of knowledge and skills, making you a more competitive candidate in the job market. However, it may also require a significant amount of time and effort, so it is essential to carefully consider your options before committing to this path.