Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it POSSIBLE to integrate C++ with WITec Project 1.88? call for help~ haha

1. Dec 11, 2006 #1
    Is it POSSIBLE to integrate C++ with WITec Project 1.88??? urgent call for help~ haha

hi everyone,

currently i am doing a project in which i have to extract date MANUALLY from the solfware. It will be VERY tiring because the number of data I have to extract is more than 1000 times!!! Moreover, I have to do the same thing (data extraction) for many times in future.

I have an idea, which is to ask C++ to do the work for me.

The solfware I use is WITec Project 1.88, which is a dedicated solfware for Raman Spectroscopy.

Would anyone please tell me how to integrate C++ with WITec Project 1.88?
    For example, how to let C++ know where it has to "go" to extract date from the solfware?

haha, Thanks so much!:surprised

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It sounds like you'd like to write a C++ program to analyze some data from your spectroscope. The answer depends on whether or not you can figure out how the data is stored on your hard disk. In other words, what is the format of the data written out by the WITec Project 1.88 program?

- Warren

4. Dec 11, 2006 #3
    ya, the problem is that, the data is saved in "WIP.file", which is only for the solfware!!!

hmm ...

is "WIP.file" built up from usual files like .txt ???:yuck:

5. Dec 12, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you'd have to look at the file yourself, or look in the documentation. I can't say how that file is formatted. Figuring out that format is going to be your largest obstacle.

- Warren

6. Dec 12, 2006 #5

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with Warren with an addition -

It would be odd that the developer of the software doesn't have technical information like file formats unless there is a suite of associated software products (they want you to buy them) to do all of the data analysis.

Go to the website and see what you can find.

7. Dec 12, 2006 #6
    I doubt you'll find the complete solution here, without leaving a nice bundle of cash on somebody's door step. Most of these binary formats can be quite cryptic to figure out. However, if there is documentation on the file format, there will have been little motivation to make it easy to implement. Your best bet is to try researching it yourself, hope someone else has done this already, or pay someone to figure it out for you.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
  8. Dec 12, 2006 #7

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uhmmm. Seems like this is a student request...

{students union money} = NULL SET.

9. Dec 13, 2006 #8
    Nice one. :cool:

I have nothing against helping students, personally. I would just like to see an effort on everyone's part. Food is only free for the homeless... - and the yungin's. :wink:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  10. Dec 13, 2006 #9

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you export the data into a text format??? If so, then you can write a C++ script to extract the date from the header of the file, if you are using a *nix machine, and can export the files a quick awk script will do the trick.

11. Dec 13, 2006 #10
    Oh yes. That never occured to me. Maybe the date of creation/modification/last access is what he wishes to grab. In which case, all it would require is a call to an os routine. Very simple. I assumed he wanted to parse a data field that was written inside each file.

I think you're right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?