Can I Create My Own Physics Engine for Object Simulation?

In summary, the person is trying to create their own physics engine and wants to use Algodoo as a resource. They are new to graphic libraries, but are willing to learn if it is required.
cng99
Hello,

I want to create my own physics engine.

Basically, I want to create a visual environment where a user can create any object that he desires and run a simulation of that object like it were in a real world. Basic physics engines are used popularly in games like Angry Birds. My inspiration for this Algodoo.:

http://www.algodoo.com/

Algodoo is a free physics simulator. A user can create any object and can make it interact with other objects. I further wish to add some fluid or powder elements to it too, apart from rigid body dynamics like in this physics simulator called Powder Toy:

http://powdertoy.co.uk/

Powder toy doesn't have rigid bodies but it can simulate fluids, gases, powders, solids, glass shattering and even things like semi-conductors, explosives, radioactivity and even black holes.

I know that it can start to be too much to deal with. It will be okay if I am able to at least create some elements from both programs, or at least some elements only from Algadoo.

I don't have any experience with graphic libraries so far. I can code in C, C++ and basic Python. I wouldn't hesitate to learn new languages if they are required for the accomplishment of this project and would work sincerely and with utmost dedication for this. There's a lot I can get to learn out of the project.

I don't really know where to begin. I have picked up some books for learning OpenGL. Python has a graphic library called Pygame which is ridiculously easy to use, but I don't think learning that will teach me as much as OpenGL will. OpenGL will open me to another dimension of programming, and I could later use my newly attained knowledge for more projects. I also started reading notes of the famous CMU course:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~baraff/pbm/pbm.html

The project is mostly independant. I'm working this as part of a club at my college.

I'm a first-year mathematics undergraduate.

Any help, suggestions and comments would be returned with blessings and appreciation.

Technology news on Phys.org
Here is a step by step guide to a very simple physics engine, but it may give you a starting point.
http://www.wildbunny.co.uk/blog/2011/04/06/physics-engines-for-dummies/

Thank you.

What is a "Physics Simulator Project"?

A "Physics Simulator Project" is a software program that uses mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate real-world physical phenomena in a virtual environment. It allows users to experiment with different variables and conditions to better understand and predict the behavior of physical systems.

What is the purpose of a physics simulator project?

The purpose of a physics simulator project is to provide a realistic and interactive way for users to learn and explore the principles of physics. It can be used for educational purposes, scientific research, and even entertainment.

What are some common features of a physics simulator project?

Some common features of a physics simulator project include the ability to adjust variables such as mass, velocity, and friction, the option to view simulations in 2D or 3D, and the ability to run experiments and collect data.

What are the benefits of using a physics simulator project?

There are several benefits of using a physics simulator project, including the ability to visualize and understand complex physical phenomena, the option to test out different scenarios and hypotheses, and the opportunity to safely conduct experiments that would be difficult or dangerous to do in real life.

What are some examples of real-world applications for a physics simulator project?

A physics simulator project can be used in various industries and fields, such as engineering, robotics, aerospace, and video game development. It can also be utilized in educational settings to help students grasp difficult concepts in physics.