1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Is it possible to run as fast as a car?

Tags:
  1. Apr 11, 2016 #1
    By run fast I don't mean if the human body can handle it, I mean is there a way to allow a human to reach that speed while running(sort of like the flash)either using some kind of physical or chemical enhancement. Maybe not as fast as a car but some way to increase their max speed without having long legs.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2016 #2

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Apr 11, 2016 #3
  5. Apr 11, 2016 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A bicycle would be cheating, I suppose? Thing is, a bike does exactly what's need. It enables you to use Gears as a Velocity Magnifier and it provides your muscles with the highest load for a given leg speed (matching). Some equivalent arrangement of levers, fixed to the legs (a bit like blades but using upper and lower limb muscles) could provide velocity magnification but you would need a lot of skill to avoid falling over.

6. Apr 11, 2016 #5

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Good question!

I would call "a bicycle" a physical enhancement.

We already have hip replacement technology. I'm sure that you could design some sort of out of this world, next-gen, hip replacement design that allowed the legs to rotate 360 degrees.

That, along with AT's doping idea, will surely break 100 mph.

ps. There's also aerodynamic body morphing technology that has been around for centuries. But smooshing your babies head between two boards might get you put in jail nowadays. [ref]

7. Apr 11, 2016 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh dear!!!!!

8. Apr 11, 2016 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Praying there are no tiger-mom/dads looking at this thread right now........

"So, if I smoosh my baby, to about an inch thick, their aerodynamic profile would get them over 200 mph! Sweet!"

:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted