Is it possible to run as fast as a car?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ARC123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
ARC123
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
By run fast I don't mean if the human body can handle it, I mean is there a way to allow a human to reach that speed while running(sort of like the flash)either using some kind of physical or chemical enhancement. Maybe not as fast as a car but some way to increase their max speed without having long legs.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A bicycle would be cheating, I suppose? Thing is, a bike does exactly what's need. It enables you to use Gears as a Velocity Magnifier and it provides your muscles with the highest load for a given leg speed (matching). Some equivalent arrangement of levers, fixed to the legs (a bit like blades but using upper and lower limb muscles) could provide velocity magnification but you would need a lot of skill to avoid falling over.
 
ARC123 said:
By run fast I don't mean if the human body can handle it, I mean is there a way to allow a human to reach that speed while running(sort of like the flash)either using some kind of physical or chemical enhancement. Maybe not as fast as a car but some way to increase their max speed without having long legs.

Good question!

I would call "a bicycle" a physical enhancement.

Cycling speed records [wiki]
The highest speed officially recorded for any human-powered vehicle (HPV) on level ground and with calm winds and without external aids (such as motor pacing and wind-blocks, but including a defined amount of gravity assist) is 133.78 km/h (83.13 mph) set in 2013 by Sebastiaan Bowier in the VeloX3, a streamlined recumbent bicycle.

We already have hip replacement technology. I'm sure that you could design some sort of out of this world, next-gen, hip replacement design that allowed the legs to rotate 360 degrees.

That, along with AT's doping idea, will surely break 100 mph.

ps. There's also aerodynamic body morphing technology that has been around for centuries. But smooshing your babies head between two boards might get you put in jail nowadays. [ref]
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1oldman2 and sophiecentaur
OmCheeto said:
ps. There's also aerodynamic body morphing technology that has been around for centuries. But smooshing your babies head between two boards might get you put in jail nowadays. [ref]
Oh dear!
 
sophiecentaur said:
Oh dear!
Praying there are no tiger-mom/dads looking at this thread right now...

"So, if I smoosh my baby, to about an inch thick, their aerodynamic profile would get them over 200 mph! Sweet!"

:biggrin: