1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to simplify this equation?

1. Sep 8, 2014 #1

Rectifier

Gold Member

Hey there!
    This isn't actually a problem from a book or something. Its a problem I have stumbled upon when I did some physics.

The problem
    I have come to this equation and I cant seem a way to simplify it
    $$Q_c^2 =Q^2 \frac{d_1^4+d_2^4}{(d_1d_2)^4} \cdot (d_1^2+d_2^2)^2 $$

The attempt
    As I have said, this is my last step. For those who are interested can go to the physics sub-forum and see my thread about this problem there. And don't worry this is not a double post. I ask about the mathematical side of the problem here and about the physical side of the problem there. Here is the link:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=769683

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2014 #2
    Actually not.....you can't express the term (d1^4 + d2 ^ 4) as a product. That's the simplest form you reached

4. Sep 8, 2014 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The expression in ##d_1## and ##d_2## is in its simplest form. As Domenico has already said!

5. Sep 8, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I will give you a seemingly useless but very serious answer: define "simplify". This could be "simplify for accurate and efficient computation", "simplify for later use in such-and-such" (where---really---one form might make future analysis a lot easier than another), or perhaps "simplify for solving for ##d_1##", say, or ... ? One of the major problems facing developers of computer algebra systems is the question I started with: define 'simplify', since they need to deal with it when a user asks the package to perform simplification.

6. Sep 8, 2014 #5

Rectifier

Gold Member

Thank you for validating my suspicion.

Sorry that I wasn't clear with my question. Concidering your definitions I fould say: simplify for solving for ## Q_c ## :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted