Is it possible to understand quantum mechanics in student life?

Feynman Lectures are still a good resource. You might also try "Quantum: A Guide for the Perplexed" by Jim Al-Khalili. It uses very little math and could be a good resource for you.In summary, QM is gradually taking over the mind of the speaker, affecting their performance in college due to it not being a part of their course. They are seeking guidance on how to understand it, but have already tried using the internet and have become frustrated. They are a third year student of civil engineering, and have a good understanding of QM theoretically but want to understand it mathematically. They are looking for a
zeeshan shabbir
QM is gradually conquering my mind day by day. i can't think anything expect it. i always thinking while eating,before sleeping,in classroom,while outside.
my college performence is badly affecting as QM is not in my course. i just want to understand anyhow_could anybody guides me to understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
zeeshan shabbir said:
my college performence is badly affecting as QM is not in my course.
What is your course? What are you studying at the moment?
zeeshan shabbir said:
i just want to understand anyhow_could anybody guides me to understand it.
Arguably a good way would be to enroll in a good introductory quantum mechanics course (check that you have completed the required prerequisites). How easy that is, probably depends on what you are currently studying.

i am 3rd year student of civil engineering. i had almost understand QM theoritically in past years and now wants to understand it mathematically.
i begin it from linear vector space but now confused what is the next step.i was assured that i understand it better theoritically of my age students. i am looking for a personal mentor to guide me step by step to understand it.
i already used internet to follow mentor but it was so confusing and makes me frustate

zeeshan shabbir said:
i am 3rd year student of civil engineering. i had almost understand QM theoritically in past years and now wants to understand it mathematically.

No, you have not understood QM "theoretically".

"Theoretically", by default, HAS to mean an understanding of QM mathematically. You are confusing your superficial, hand-waving "understanding" with "theoretical understanding".

I am also trying to figure out why you are "obsessed" with it, at least to this extent, when it is not even a topic in your curriculum. If it is affecting the rest of your life and your studies, this is NOT healthy, especially considering that it appears that you really haven't properly being introduced to it.

I hate to think that you might have bigger psychological issues to deal with than your single-minded obsession with this subject.

Zz.

zeeshan shabbir said:
QM is gradually conquering my mind day by day. i can't think anything expect it. i always thinking while eating,before sleeping,in classroom,while outside.
my college performence is badly affecting as QM is not in my course. i just want to understand anyhow_could anybody guides me to understand it.

Understanding the math requires college level math coursework through multivariable calculus and differential equations. A solid physics background through at least a first year sequence is also required.

For those with weaker math skills, an excellent treatment is The Feynman Lectures. But as ZapperZ said, you're still leaving a lot of understanding short without the math.

I aced all the undergraduate courses, but didn't really understand QM until late in graduate school. It is a wonder of creation and truly a very beautiful subject. But it's big and complicated and has its own rules and intuition.

i don't have any psychological issues but i can't focus on any subject except QM.
and i had also good command on physics as well as mathematics, i just want to guide me the proper way- the rest leaves to me.
it seems that my brain forces me to study it even i could'nt understand it.(but i did it partially)
now i feeling to get addicted with this subject and i know i can't get out of this addiction- so just guide me to understand it. this is the only way

zeeshan shabbir said:
i don't have any psychological issues

zeeshan shabbir said:
now i feeling to get addicted with this subject and i know i can't get out of this addiction

Do you see the contradiction?

is it really a psychological issues?
because i don't have much knowledge of this fact.
if it is so how could i resolve this?

zeeshan shabbir said:
is it really a psychological issues?
Maybe you just meant to say that you like it a lot to think about QM and you want to understand it as much as possible?

When I am busy with a certain topic or problem (in my case mathematical, most of the time), it is also on my mind a lot. I wouldn't jump onto the divan just yet.

I think the simplest "remedy" would still be to see if your school offers an introductory QM course that you could perhaps take (or: work towards taking).

Let me suggest that you search "susskind quantum" on YouTube. His 10 lecture course uses only moderate math, but he does it right, no analogies, all equations.

I'm on my phone so no link.

thanks for your kind suggestions.
while i use introduction to QM by david j.griffith. it was to technical but i try to understand it. any other book from your's perspective.

honestly speaking, now i am getting a little tense when i realize it was actually a psychological issues. is i am loosing control over mind day by day?

zeeshan shabbir said:
honestly speaking, now i am getting a little tense when i realize it was actually a psychological issues. is i am loosing control over mind day by day?
No one on line can tell you if you have an actual psychological issue. That's something you need to see a professional about.

I suspect that the reason this has come up at all has to do with the language that you've used to describe your interest in quantum mechanics. It's great to have an interest in the subject. The interest becomes a problem when it interferes with your ability to focus on your chosen field of study. This could simply mean that you're in the wrong major. You might be avoiding or procrastinating on work that you'd rather not do by focussing on something that you find more intriguing. And it is entirely feasible that you just find QM interesting. It's an interesting subject for a lot of reasons. For a lot of people I think once they take a course in it, they find that it's their first experience where the math tends to lead their physical intuition and some people find this really engaging.

Griffiths is a fairly standard introductory level QM textbook and is generally meant for undergraduate physics students in their third or fourth year. If it's too technical for you, then there's probably some aspect of the prerequisite material that you're missing: examples might be the standard first and second year mathematics courses including linear algebra and differential equations, and a classical mechanics course above the first year level. If you're serious about learning this, maybe look into physics as a minor and build up your coursework foundations so that you can take a QM course before your graduate.

zeeshan shabbir said:
thanks for your kind suggestions.
while i use introduction to QM by david j.griffith. it was to technical but i try to understand it. any other book from your's perspective.

Griffiths is good. At an easier level, you can try French and Taylor https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393091066/?tag=pfamazon01-20. At a level comparable to Griffiths, you can try Le Bellac https://www.amazon.com/dp/1107602769/?tag=pfamazon01-20, and Shankar https://www.amazon.com/dp/146157675X/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

thanks to all of you.
can i ask for questions related to physics which sparks in my brain.
you find it some silly questions but i just want to know a satisfactory answer.

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a scientific theory that explains the behavior of particles and waves at the atomic and subatomic level. It describes the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the microscopic world.

2. Can non-scientists understand quantum mechanics?

Yes, while quantum mechanics can be complex and challenging for non-scientists to fully grasp, it is possible to gain a basic understanding of its key concepts and principles. Many popular science books and videos have been created to make quantum mechanics more accessible to the general public.

3. How does quantum mechanics impact our daily lives?

Quantum mechanics has led to numerous technological advancements, such as the development of computers, lasers, and medical imaging devices. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of chemical reactions and the behavior of materials.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand quantum mechanics?

While a strong foundation in math can be helpful in understanding the complex equations and formulas used in quantum mechanics, it is not a prerequisite for understanding the basic concepts and principles. Many non-scientists have gained a general understanding of quantum mechanics without a strong math background.

5. How can I apply quantum mechanics in my student life?

Quantum mechanics is a fundamental part of science and can be applied in various fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can also be beneficial for problem-solving and critical thinking skills. Additionally, understanding quantum mechanics can open up opportunities for research and further studies in related fields.