Is it safe to cover a floor lamp with an Aluminum metal pie plate?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential hazards and risks of converting an IKEA NYFORS floor lamp into a reading light by covering the top with an aluminum pie plate. Some suggest using LED bulbs or LED bulbs with built-in reflectors for better lighting and cost savings. The issue of heat and fire hazards is also raised, with suggestions for proper ventilation or alternative solutions such as using a photographic umbrella. It is advised to carefully consider safety and cost efficiency before making any modifications to the lamp.
12john
Please see the image below. I'm trying to convert my IKEA NYFORS floor lamp into a reading light, by covering the top with an Aluminium pie plate.

Will this be a fire or electrical hazard? Does anyone foresee any dangers or risks?

As I have 3 of these floor lamps in my attic, I don't want to waste money buying a reading light. I'm unemployed because of COVID.

2rUl2PX.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have to ask a bunch of strangers on the internet if something is safe, the answer is "no".

Likes BvU and Bystander
You could save more money by replacing those fluorescent light bulbs with LED bulbs. You can buy LED bulbs for as little as $1 each, at IKEA and at Dollar Tree. The LEDs use less power than the fluorescent bulbs so that will save on your power bill.

The problem with those pie plate reflectors is not electric, it is heat. If the temperature in the lamp gets higher because of the plates, it becomes a fire risk and it also reduces the life of the bulbs, which costs you more money. So keeping the fluorescent bulbs and using pie plates will cost you more money, not less.

• Informative
Likes Klystron, davenn, Astronuc and 2 others
If you can attach it in such a way as to leave a gap (popsicle sticks and hot glue?) that would probably create enough convection to keep the light bulb cool. But I agree that a small led lamp should be cheap.

One more thing. You can also buy LED bulbs with built-in reflectors that direct light only downward. The one in the picture costs $7.22. I can also be dimmed.

1626714392458.png

Likes 12john, Klystron, Astronuc and 2 others
anorlunda said:
One more thing. You can also buy LED bulbs with built-in reflectors that direct light only downward. The one in the picture costs $7.22. I can also be dimmed.

View attachment 286217
Huh! That's what those are for! It never occurred to me that it was to concentrate the light in the downward direction to make a better reading light. Nice! :smile:

anorlunda said:
You could save more money by replacing those fluorescent light bulbs with LED bulbs.

@berkeman The bases on the LED bulbs I've used get very hot. I think that would be a fire hazard IMO.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman
dlgoff said:
The bases on the LED bulbs I've used get very hot. I think that would be a fire hazard IMO.
There can always be poorly designed bulbs. If the base gets hot rather than the top, that signals a badly designed power converter. Poor design is independent of the technology.

A key property to look for is whether the bulb is "Lamp Rated for Enclosed Fixtures" because that tells you about the cooling requirements. Misuse of any bulb in an enclosed fixture that is not rated for enclosed fixtures can result in overheating. The OP's question about use of a pie plate could convert an open fixture into an enclosed fixture unless ventilation is also provided as @russ_watters pointed out.

Good LEDs use less power and therefore generate less heat than good CFL bulbs. But today the difference is not great. CFL bulbs have continued to improve even after LEDs took over the market. Checking on energystar.gov:

LED, 9 watts, 800 lumens, power factor 0.8, lifetime 15000 hours
https://www.energystar.gov/productf...t-bulbs/details-plus/2286854#PriceAndLocation

CFL, 13 watts, 1040 lumens, power factor 0.6, lifetime 12000 hours
https://www.energystar.gov/productf...t-bulbs/details-plus/2292003#PriceAndLocation

• Informative
Likes 12john, Astronuc, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
12john said:
As I have 3 of these floor lamps in my attic, I don't want to waste money buying a reading light.
What is the actual problem right now if using this lamp when reading?
Just put the lamp next to your arm chair and it should work fine anyways. No?

Likes dlgoff, berkeman and davenn
I'd be inclined to put two square section battens (say 25mm square) parallel, across the lamp shade rim and rest the pie dish on them. That will allow plenty of air circulation. It's got to be LEDs as CFLs have such disgusting light colours (I never saw a good one).

256bits said:
What is the actual problem right now if using this lamp when reading?
Just put the lamp next to your arm chair and it should work fine anyways. No?
The "actual problem right now" is that (1) the downward light isn't bright enough, and (2) all the upward light (illuminating the ceiling) is wasting electricity and resources.

12john said:
The "actual problem right now" is that (1) the downward light isn't bright enough, and (2) all the upward light (illuminating the ceiling) is wasting electricity and resources.
Put a photographic umbrella a few feet over the light stand, to catch all the light, and no problem with overheating then.
Or make your own to save cost with a normal umbrella and paste it with reflective material.
You get all the light downwards to your area, and adjustable too.
It should a nice ambience too
1627533336639.png

Likes Bystander
256bits said:
Put a photographic umbrella a few feet over the light stand, to catch all the light, and no problem with overheating then.
Or make your own to save cost with a normal umbrella and paste it with reflective material.
You get all the light downwards to your area, and adjustable too.
It should a nice ambience too
View attachment 286795
That would look 'exotic' and do the job very well but an aluminium pie dish (a big enough one) Plus two lengths of wood as spacers would not cost anything like as much. Supporting that brolly could be an expensive exercise too; it would possibly double the total cost. At that price, the OP could just go out and buy a more suitable liqht fitting.

Likes 256bits
sophiecentaur said:
That would look 'exotic' and do the job very well but an aluminium pie dish (a big enough one) Plus two lengths of wood as spacers would not cost anything like as much. Supporting that brolly could be an expensive exercise too; it would possibly double the total cost. At that price, the OP could just go out and buy a more suitable liqht fitting.
Wouldn't have to cost too too much.
Just spray paint a small old umbrella lying around somewhere with white or silver paint and voila - a photographic umbrella to attach to the wall, on its own stand, to to the lamp. And umbrellas fold up nicely too.
Looks good too. Chic!

1. Is it safe to cover a floor lamp with an Aluminum metal pie plate?

Yes, it is generally safe to cover a floor lamp with an Aluminum metal pie plate. However, it is important to ensure that the pie plate is not in direct contact with the light bulb or any other electrical components of the lamp. The pie plate should also be securely attached to the lamp to prevent it from falling or shifting.

2. Will covering a floor lamp with an Aluminum metal pie plate affect its brightness?

Covering a floor lamp with an Aluminum metal pie plate may slightly affect its brightness. The reflective surface of the pie plate may cause the light to be more concentrated in certain areas, resulting in a slightly dimmer overall light. However, this effect is usually minimal and may not be noticeable.

3. Can covering a floor lamp with an Aluminum metal pie plate be a fire hazard?

Covering a floor lamp with an Aluminum metal pie plate can potentially be a fire hazard if the pie plate is in direct contact with the light bulb or if it is not securely attached to the lamp. The heat from the light bulb can cause the pie plate to become hot and potentially melt or catch fire. It is important to take proper precautions and ensure that the pie plate is not a safety hazard.

4. Will covering a floor lamp with an Aluminum metal pie plate affect its lifespan?

Covering a floor lamp with an Aluminum metal pie plate may slightly affect its lifespan. The pie plate may trap heat and cause the light bulb to overheat, which can shorten its lifespan. Additionally, if the pie plate is not securely attached to the lamp, it may fall and damage the lamp or light bulb. It is important to monitor the lamp and pie plate regularly to ensure they are functioning properly.

5. Are there any alternatives to using an Aluminum metal pie plate to cover a floor lamp?

Yes, there are other alternatives to using an Aluminum metal pie plate to cover a floor lamp. Some people may choose to use a lampshade or a fabric cover instead. These options may be safer and less likely to affect the brightness or lifespan of the lamp. It is important to choose a cover that is appropriate for the type of lamp and does not pose any safety hazards.