Is It Safe to Drink Milk Left Out for 3 Hours?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
76 replies · 93K views
I really wish some magician would make this thread disappear. :redface:

So, Mk, you think bad milk tastes bad, huh? That's quite a revelation.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
I'm a bit amazed at the number of pages a thread on milk has gotten.
 
Yeah, imagine if it was chocolate milk[/color]. :bugeye:
 
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
 
honestrosewater said:
Yeah, imagine if it was chocolate milk[/color]. :bugeye:

Can someone start a thread on chocolate milk? There are serious implications at issue, the whole chocolate and milk dichotomy and the implications to diet and the underlying psychosexual implications. This needs to be Raised!:-p :wink:

Ok threads up, just don't say I've never contributed anything to serious debate on these forums.
 
Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I left 1/2 gallon of 1% milk out for nearly three hours. Still felt chilled. Think I should drink it? I really don't want to go out to the store tonight!
Don't do it!
 
dav2008 said:
Don't do it!
Whoa, just in the nick of time.
 
honestrosewater said:
Whoa, just in the nick of time.
:smile: Yeah, if it's still sitting out, I'd say don't even touch it let alone drink it!
 
Personally I wouldn't drink it. I'm really finicky about my milk. I can taste the difference after a few minutes. It may just be in my head, but if it doesn't taste just right, I won't drink it at all.
 
franznietzsche said:
Personally I wouldn't drink it. I'm really finicky about my milk. I can taste the difference after a few minutes. It may just be in my head, but if it doesn't taste just right, I won't drink it at all.

I'm like that too. I like my milk ice-cold from the fridge. If it sits out just a few minutes and starts to get warm, it doesn't taste the same to me and I don't like it. But, the funny thing is, if I heat it on the stove, then I like warm milk. So, I'm not sure what it is about the more tepid milk that I don't like. But it's still okay in coffee.
 
Moonbear said:
I'm like that too. I like my milk ice-cold from the fridge. If it sits out just a few minutes and starts to get warm, it doesn't taste the same to me and I don't like it. But, the funny thing is, if I heat it on the stove, then I like warm milk. So, I'm not sure what it is about the more tepid milk that I don't like. But it's still okay in coffee.

Exactly. Once it warms up at all it tastes different.
 
The right time to drink milk is after it's been kept out just long enough that the CO2 produced by the bacteria causes the jug to inflate like a balloon. :biggrin:
 
Perhaps colder means less evaporation so you don't 'taste' (smell) it as much. If that were true, then I imagine you guys wouldn't swish the milk around in your mouth. True or false?

Of course, even if you don't swish it, I'm not sure how to explain your liking warm/hot milk. Maybe it's just some inbetween taste that you don't like. Hm.

It might also be disgust, which is presumably (over)protecting you from spoiled milk. http://www.people.virginia.edu/~jdh6n/disgustscale.html links to some interesting articles on disgust, which propose that disgust began as revulsion at the prospect of oral incorporation of an offensive object. I like this explanation better. Do you guys feel disgust?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I left 1/2 gallon of 1% milk out for nearly three hours. Still felt chilled. Think I should drink it? I really don't want to go out to the store tonight!
Geez, it's been sitting out for over two months now! Just drink it and get it over with!

Uh, :rolleyes: , you might need to drink it with a fork.