Is it worth studying Aerospace engineering for Astronomy?

In summary: True, for being a successful Astrophysicist, Aerospace engineering may not be quite useful. Nevertheless, it may get you into something related to both fields (labs, telescope projects...) within this very competitive world. This are especulations. I don't know for sure. Do you, guys :) ?Not sure what your plans are, but an Aerospace engineer is not an Astrophysicist, and vice-versa.
Gjmdp
I want to be an astrophysicist. Physics and Astronomy are my passions, my love. But, I also love Aerospace engineering, and there's no way I can just have this passion as a mere hobby. So, do you think that studying a Master on Aerospace engineering will be worth for being an Astrophysicist (PhD) or just a loss of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gjmdp said:
there's no way I can just have this passion as a mere hobby.

Not sure what your plans are, but an Aerospace engineer is not an Astrophysicist, and vice-versa.

Taken from the internet -

Astrophysics
is a branch of space science that applies the laws of physics and chemistry to explain the birth, life and death of stars, planets, galaxies, nebulae and other objects in the universe.

Aerospace engineering is the primary field of engineering concerned with the development of aircraft and spacecraft .

IMO if you want to be one, a degree in the other is not likely to be of much direct career benefit.

Likes billy_joule
True, for being a successful Astrophysicist, Aerospace engineering may not be quite useful. Nevertheless, it may get you into something related to both fields (labs, telescope projects...) within this very competitive world. This are especulations. I don't know for sure. Do you, guys :) ?

My $0.02 only. Engineering is a high probability employment option. Astrophysics will likely require lots and lots of education, plus publishing... and not really garner fair compensation. Lots of companies can find a reason to hire an engineer (even one without direct qualifications ie you might be offered work in Machine design), but not many companies are going to hire an Astrophysicist. period.. Perhaps some academic position may open up, but even there, the feeling might be, "he will certainly leave us, even mid term if something better crops up" AND they would be correct, because you could NOT risk the chance of not jumping on better, because with an Astrophysics degree, only so many opportunities are out there, vs engineering has a wider selection.
However, truth be told, if you can't love engineering, you shouldn't make yourself miserable just because it pays.

CalcNerd said:
My $0.02 only. Engineering is a high probability employment option. Astrophysics will likely require lots and lots of education, plus publishing... and not really garner fair compensation. Lots of companies can find a reason to hire an engineer (even one without direct qualifications ie you might be offered work in Machine design), but not many companies are going to hire an Astrophysicist. period.. Perhaps some academic position may open up, but even there, the feeling might be, "he will certainly leave us, even mid term if something better crops up" AND they would be correct, because you could NOT risk the chance of not jumping on better, because with an Astrophysics degree, only so many opportunities are out there, vs engineering has a wider selection.
However, truth be told, if you can't love engineering, you shouldn't make yourself miserable just because it pays.
Does that mean I should go into those 2 fields for being sure of getting job or that I'd better move on engineering?

Are you already done with undergrad? What was it in?

Grinkle said:
Not sure what your plans are, but an Aerospace engineer is not an Astrophysicist, and vice-versa.

Taken from the internet -

Astrophysics
is a branch of space science that applies the laws of physics and chemistry to explain the birth, life and death of stars, planets, galaxies, nebulae and other objects in the universe.

Aerospace engineering is the primary field of engineering concerned with the development of aircraft and spacecraft .

IMO if you want to be one, a degree in the other is not likely to be of much direct career benefit.
You missed Top Gun, I see. :).

Likes CalcNerd

1. Is Aerospace engineering necessary for studying Astronomy?

No, Aerospace engineering is not necessary for studying Astronomy. While having a background in Aerospace engineering may be helpful in understanding some concepts in Astronomy, it is not a requirement.

2. What are the benefits of studying Aerospace engineering for Astronomy?

Studying Aerospace engineering can provide a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and engineering principles which are key components in understanding Astronomy. Additionally, it can open up opportunities for careers in space exploration and research.

3. Is Aerospace engineering a difficult major for studying Astronomy?

Aerospace engineering can be a challenging major, but with dedication and hard work, it is possible to excel in both Aerospace engineering and Astronomy. It is important to have a strong interest and passion for both fields in order to succeed.

4. Are there any specific courses in Aerospace engineering that are particularly beneficial for studying Astronomy?

Courses such as orbital mechanics, astrodynamics, and spacecraft design are particularly useful for studying Astronomy. These courses provide a deeper understanding of the mechanics of space and how to design and build spacecraft.

5. What are some career options for those who have studied Aerospace engineering for Astronomy?

Career options for those with a background in Aerospace engineering and Astronomy include working in space agencies, research institutions, and aerospace companies. Some specific job titles may include spacecraft engineer, astrophysicist, or aerospace systems analyst.