1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Is it worth studying Aerospace engineering for Astronomy?

1. Sep 12, 2016 #1
    I want to be an astrophysicist. Physics and Astronomy are my passions, my love. But, I also love Aerospace engineering, and there's no way I can just have this passion as a mere hobby. So, do you think that studying a Master on Aerospace engineering will be worth for being an Astrophysicist (PhD) or just a loss of time?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2016 #2

Grinkle

Gold Member

Not sure what your plans are, but an Aerospace engineer is not an Astrophysicist, and vice-versa.

Taken from the internet -

Astrophysics
    is a branch of space science that applies the laws of physics and chemistry to explain the birth, life and death of stars, planets, galaxies, nebulae and other objects in the universe.

Aerospace engineering is the primary field of engineering concerned with the development of aircraft and spacecraft.

IMO if you want to be one, a degree in the other is not likely to be of much direct career benefit.

4. Sep 12, 2016 #3
    True, for being a succesful Astrophysicist, Aerospace engineering may not be quite useful. Nevertheless, it may get you into something related to both fields (labs, telescope projects...) within this very competitive world. This are especulations. I don't know for sure. Do you, guys :) ?

5. Sep 12, 2016 #4

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

My $0.02 only. Engineering is a high probability employment option. Astrophysics will likely require lots and lots of education, plus publishing.... and not really garner fair compensation. Lots of companies can find a reason to hire an engineer (even one without direct qualifications ie you might be offered work in Machine design), but not many companies are going to hire an Astrophysicist. period.. Perhaps some academic position may open up, but even there, the feeling might be, "he will certainly leave us, even mid term if something better crops up" AND they would be correct, because you could NOT risk the chance of not jumping on better, because with an Astrophysics degree, only so many opportunities are out there, vs engineering has a wider selection.
    However, truth be told, if you can't love engineering, you shouldn't make yourself miserable just because it pays.

6. Sep 12, 2016 #5
    Does that mean I should go into those 2 fields for being sure of getting job or that I'd better move on engineering?

7. Sep 12, 2016 #6

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you already done with undergrad? What was it in?

8. Sep 14, 2016 #7
    You missed Top Gun, I see. :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted