Is L=T+w a Universal Definition in Lagrangian Dynamics for Dissipation Systems?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
enricfemi
Messages
195
Reaction score
0
while facing dissipation systems, some books define the L with L=T+w.
is it universal?
where is its limits?
THX!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ben Niehoff said:
How is w defined? I've never seen it written this way.

w is the work done on the dynamical system, on matter whether it is dissipative or not.
 
So, can you give an example of an expression for w, when there is dissipation?
 
I've never seen it written in finite form like that, but I would expect that w to represent the work done on the system.

Hamilton's Principle can be written as
int(variation of (T*) + variation(W))dt = 0
where that W is the work of the several forces acting on the system. This is the way that nonconservative forces are included into the formulation of the system equations of motion.