Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Max Planck law true for all electromagnetic waves?

1. Dec 23, 2013 #1
    Is it true that the energy in electromagnetic waves can only be released in "packets" of energy?

Or is this only the case for a system where a standing wave change from one mode to another which results in sending out an electromagnetic wave (photon).

In other words if I ride on my bike and connect my dynamo to an electronic circuit to send out low frequency low energy electromagnetic waves (RF radiation) do I have to ride 1 meter extra to create the discrete energy needed for the packet (E=hf)?

If it isn’t true is a photon a special kind of electromagnetic radiation where properties are directly related with the change in the system which created the photon.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2013 #2

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes - that's true.

But the correct explanation is Quantum Electrodynamics - QED for short - not the adhoc hypothesis of Plank or even Einstein.

I have zero idea what you mean.

However QED is a Quantum Field Theory and incorporates relativity from the outset.

Thanks
    Bill

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  4. Dec 23, 2013 #3
    Bill, thanks for your reply. Sadly I didn't find the answer in QED but I learned something new :). What I mean with the bike story is: There is a discrete nature in the way a photon is created when an electron that is bound to an atom move from a higher energylevel to a lower one. I do not see the discrete nature in a radio transmitter. That is why I ask the question. Is there a way to explain the discrete nature of light (electromagnetic waves can only be released in "packets" of energy) if you look at the operation of a radio transmitter.

5. Dec 23, 2013 #4

Bill_K

Science Advisor

There are many other ways in which a photon may be created. Not all light comes from spectral lines. Any time a free electron is accelerated, it radiates electromagnetic waves.

6. Dec 23, 2013 #5

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Scratching my head about that. Quantized fields explain exactly why photons exist eg the creation and annihilation operators.

Yes - the creation and annihilation operators of the quantisized EM field:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantization_of_the_electromagnetic_field

See the section of Fock states.

Thanks
    Bill

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook