Is Max Planck law true for all electromagnetic waves?

In summary, it is true that the energy in electromagnetic waves can only be released in "packets" of energy, known as photons. This is explained by Quantum Electrodynamics and the creation and annihilation operators of the quantized electromagnetic field. The discrete nature of light can be seen in the operation of a radio transmitter through Fock states.
wolvekampp
Is it true that the energy in electromagnetic waves can only be released in "packets" of energy?

Or is this only the case for a system where a standing wave change from one mode to another which results in sending out an electromagnetic wave (photon).

In other words if I ride on my bike and connect my dynamo to an electronic circuit to send out low frequency low energy electromagnetic waves (RF radiation) do I have to ride 1 meter extra to create the discrete energy needed for the packet (E=hf)?

If it isn’t true is a photon a special kind of electromagnetic radiation where properties are directly related with the change in the system which created the photon.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolvekampp said:
Is it true that the energy in electromagnetic waves can only be released in "packets" of energy?

Yes - that's true.

But the correct explanation is Quantum Electrodynamics - QED for short - not the adhoc hypothesis of Plank or even Einstein.

wolvekampp said:
In other words if I ride on my bike and connect my dynamo to an electronic circuit to send out low frequency low energy electromagnetic waves (RF radiation) do I have to ride 1 meter extra to create the discrete energy needed for the packet (E=hf)?

I have zero idea what you mean.

However QED is a Quantum Field Theory and incorporates relativity from the outset.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Bill, thanks for your reply. Sadly I didn't find the answer in QED but I learned something new :). What I mean with the bike story is: There is a discrete nature in the way a photon is created when an electron that is bound to an atom move from a higher energylevel to a lower one. I do not see the discrete nature in a radio transmitter. That is why I ask the question. Is there a way to explain the discrete nature of light (electromagnetic waves can only be released in "packets" of energy) if you look at the operation of a radio transmitter.

wolvekampp said:
There is a discrete nature in the way a photon is created when an electron that is bound to an atom move from a higher energylevel to a lower one.
There are many other ways in which a photon may be created. Not all light comes from spectral lines. Any time a free electron is accelerated, it radiates electromagnetic waves.

wolvekampp said:
Sadly I didn't find the answer in QED

Scratching my head about that. Quantized fields explain exactly why photons exist eg the creation and annihilation operators.

wolvekampp said:
Is there a way to explain the discrete nature of light (electromagnetic waves can only be released in "packets" of energy) if you look at the operation of a radio transmitter.

Yes - the creation and annihilation operators of the quantisized EM field:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantization_of_the_electromagnetic_field

See the section of Fock states.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is Max Planck's law and how does it relate to electromagnetic waves?

Max Planck's law, also known as the Planck radiation law, is a mathematical expression that describes the spectral energy distribution of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a blackbody. It states that the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, and that the total energy radiated by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature. This law is applicable to all forms of electromagnetic radiation, including visible light, infrared, and radio waves.

2. Is Max Planck's law considered a fundamental law of physics?

Yes, Max Planck's law is considered a fundamental law of physics as it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations.

3. Does Max Planck's law hold true for all temperatures?

Yes, Max Planck's law holds true for all temperatures as long as the object emitting the radiation is a blackbody. A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all incoming radiation and emits radiation at all wavelengths. In reality, most objects are not perfect blackbodies, but the law still holds true for a wide range of temperatures and materials.

4. Can Max Planck's law be used to explain the colors of stars?

Yes, Max Planck's law can be used to explain the colors of stars. The color of a star is determined by its temperature, and the color spectrum of a star is directly related to the temperature-dependent intensity of its emitted radiation. By using Max Planck's law, scientists can determine the temperature of a star based on its color and vice versa.

5. Are there any exceptions to Max Planck's law?

While Max Planck's law is a fundamental law of physics, there are some exceptions. For example, at extremely high frequencies, the law breaks down and is replaced by quantum electrodynamics. Additionally, the law may not be applicable to materials that do not behave as ideal blackbodies, such as highly reflective or transparent materials.