Is MCNP free for Pcs with windows xp?How i can get it?

  • Thread starter Thread starter saifadin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mcnp Windows
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 18K views
saifadin
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Is MCNP free for Pcs with windows xp?
How i can get it?

regards
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Distribution of MCNP is restricted.
 


MCNP can be used on Windows XP and is free, but like Astronuc said, its distribution is restricted. You can get a copy, but if you aren't a student or don't live in the US, it might be difficult.
Check out the RSICC website for more information: http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/
 


Astronuc said:
Distribution of MCNP is restricted.

Why? Because of concerns like Iran case?
PS:anyway can I ask what's the latest version of it?

Thanks
 
Lisa! said:
Why? Because of concerns like Iran case?
PS:anyway can I ask what's the latest version of it?

Thanks
I believe it's considered 'applied technology'. Nevertheless, it is under export control, and it's distribution is handled on a case-by-case basis. It might be as simple as 'knowing who has what copies".

I found this on IAEA/NEA's site: All participants must have an MCNP or MCNPX license obtained through the NEA Data Bank or the Radiation Safety Information Computational Center (RSICC) ( http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/rsiccnew/online.htm ).

RSICC mentions that one cannot obtain MCNP for another party. Any person wishing to obtain the application must apply directly to RSICC, whether for personal or institutional use.

When I first started working in the field, any report shipped overseas had to be accompanied by a page, which included the restrictions on distribution and list of countries, which were basically all communist and Arab (Islamic) nations, as well as S. Africa, and a few others.

For more information - http://www-rsicc.ornl.gov/rsiccnew/mcnp5-1.40release.htm
MCNP5 1.40 and MCNPX 2.5.0 (latest version, AFAIK)

and - MCNP - A General Monte Carlo N-Particle Transport Code - Version 5
http://mcnp-green.lanl.gov/
 


When I was first learning MCNP to use for reactor fuel analysis, I ran into the problem that all the cross section libraries were either room temperature or tens of thousands kelvin. Hmm, I wonder what those would be used for...
 


Hi Astronuc,
I'm a french student. My master degree give me the opportunitie to have an internship from April to September. Moreover, I have another internship of only two month before (from February to March) to get a skill.
I need to get MCNP skill in the first internship so would like to know if it is possible to get a MCNP license during the second internship, to train?