Thermal neutron detection using MCNP

In summary, to detect thermal neutrons with an energy of 0.025 Ev using MCNP, it is recommended to use an energy bin card for the tally. This will result in three tallies for different energy ranges, with the lowest being everything under half an eV. It should be noted that thermal neutrons are a distribution, so it is not expected to have neutrons at exactly 0.025 Ev. Therefore, it is necessary to include the cutoff or PHYS:N cards in the input file to handle the low energy bin. It is worth mentioning that while the traditional cutoff for photons and electrons is 1keV, there is no default low energy cutoff for neutrons. The ACE data tables traditionally have a lower energy
Islam Nabil
How can i detect the thermal neutron, E = 0.025 Ev, by MCNP using CUToff Or PHYS:N cards?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Unless there is a specific reason not to, I'd use an energy bin card for the tally. For example,
F4:n 3
e4 5e-7 0.1 3 $ Energy bins
Results in 3 tallies for cell 3, everything under half an eV, everything between half an eV and 0.1MeV and everything between 0.1 and 3 MeV.

Don't expect any neutrons at exactly 0.025 of course, it's a distribution, so take the range you are calling thermal neutrons and put them into the energy bins.

Alex A said:
Unless there is a specific reason not to, I'd use an energy bin card for the tally. For example,
F4:n 3
e4 5e-7 0.1 3 $ Energy bins
Results in 3 tallies for cell 3, everything under half an eV, everything between half an eV and 0.1MeV and everything between 0.1 and 3 MeV.

Don't expect any neutrons at exactly 0.025 of course, it's a distribution, so take the range you are calling thermal neutrons and put them into the energy bins.
No, the energy bins will be below the energy cutoff. 0.025 ev will not be detected. The cutoff or phys:n must be in the input file to handle the low energy bin E= 0.025ev

Respectfully, I believe you are mistaken. Photons and electrons traditionally cut off at 1kev. I do not think there is any default low energy cut off for neutrons.

I understand the lower energy bound for the ACE data tables is traditionally ten micro eV. I don't know what the limits are for the newer tables.

If you are running an input file that isn't working we would be happy to look at it if you can share it, or a simplified input you can share with the same problem.

Likes berkeman

1. What is MCNP?

MCNP (Monte Carlo N-Particle) is a computer code used for simulating the transport of particles, such as neutrons, through materials. It is commonly used in nuclear engineering and radiation physics.

2. How does MCNP detect thermal neutrons?

MCNP uses a combination of neutron scattering and absorption reactions to detect thermal neutrons. The code simulates the interactions of neutrons with the material being studied, and the resulting reactions can be used to determine the presence and behavior of thermal neutrons.

3. What are the advantages of using MCNP for thermal neutron detection?

One major advantage of using MCNP for thermal neutron detection is its ability to accurately simulate complex geometries and materials. This allows for more realistic and precise results compared to traditional experimental methods. Additionally, MCNP is a non-destructive technique, meaning the material being studied is not altered or damaged during the simulation.

4. Are there any limitations to using MCNP for thermal neutron detection?

MCNP is a powerful tool, but it does have some limitations. It requires a significant amount of computational resources and can be time-consuming to run simulations. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the input data and assumptions made in the simulation.

5. How is MCNP used in practical applications for thermal neutron detection?

MCNP is commonly used in the design and optimization of nuclear reactors and other nuclear systems. It can also be used for radiation shielding design and analysis, as well as in medical physics for radiation therapy planning. Additionally, MCNP is used in research and development for new nuclear technologies and materials.