Is my reasoning correct? (rotational kinetic energy)

In summary, the conversation discusses the rotational kinetic energy and angular momenta of two solid spheres with equal radii but different masses. The conclusion is that while sphere A has a greater rotational inertia due to its larger mass, sphere B has a greater angular velocity and thus a larger rotational kinetic energy. This is because the two spheres have equal angular momenta. However, the reasoning behind this conclusion is questioned and further clarification is sought on the concepts of momenta and rotational inertia. The correct understanding is that the rotational kinetic energy is determined by both the angular velocity and the rotational inertia, with the larger mass of sphere A resulting in a greater rotational inertia.
lc99

Homework Statement

upload_2018-2-4_23-45-57.png

Homework Equations

L = IW
RKE = .5IW^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the two solid spheres have equal radii and same angular momenta, except that the mass differs, i think that the inertia is equal. However, since sphere A is more heavy, it would spin slower than sphere B, so Sphere B has larger rotational kinetic energy. (ANS: option e)

Attachments

• upload_2018-2-4_23-45-57.png
    upload_2018-2-4_23-45-57.png
    38.2 KB · Views: 846
Physics news on Phys.org
lc99 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 219708

Homework Equations

L = IW
RKE = .5IW^2

Since the two solid spheres have equal radii and same angular momenta, except that the mass differs, i think that the inertia is equal. However, since sphere A is more heavy, it would spin slower than sphere B, so Sphere B has larger rotational kinetic energy. (ANS: option e)
The answer is correct, but the reasoning is not.
What do you mean on "Moment"? What is I? does it depend on the mass?

lc99 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 219708

Homework Equations

L = IW
RKE = .5IW^2

While your conclusion may be correct, your reasoning is not correct.

SammyS said:
While your conclusion may be correct, your reasoning is not correct.
ehild said:
The answer is correct, but the reasoning is not.
What do you mean on "Moment"? What is I? does it depend on the mass?
I'm not too sure either.. that's why i kinda made this post. I'm sort of confused cause i thought that sphere A would have higher rotational inertia since it weighs more. Inertia depends on mass , and the formula for the sphere is 2/5MR^2. Since sphere A has more mass, rotational inertia given by .5mr^2W^2 is higher. But we know that momenta, L = IW , is equal for both spheres. Since they both need to have equal L but sphere A has larger Inertia than sphere B.. this means that B has to make up the momenta by having greater angular velocity.

Sphere A ends up have small angular velocity and so small RKE since RKE depends on angular velocity.

(On another note, I think this sounds more correct. I just had to think in a logical order as i typed this up)

lc99 said:
I'm not too sure either.. that's why i kinda made this post. I'm sort of confused cause i thought that sphere A would have higher rotational inertia since it weighs more. Inertia depends on mass , and the formula for the sphere is 2/5MR^2. Since sphere A has more mass, rotational inertia given by .5mr^2W^2 is higher. But we know that momenta, L = IW , is equal for both spheres. Since they both need to have equal L but sphere A has larger Inertia than sphere B.. this means that B has to make up the momenta by having greater angular velocity.

Sphere A ends up have small angular velocity and so small RKE since RKE depends on angular velocity.

(On another note, I think this sounds more correct. I just had to think in a logical order as i typed this up)

It is better now. Yes, as A has greater mass than B, and both have the same radius, I, the rotational inertia is greater for A.
The rotational kinetic energy is Erot =0.5 Iω2, but it can be written also as Erot =0.5 L2/I (as ω=L/I), it is clear which sphere has greater energy.

Likes lc99

1. How do I calculate rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

2. Why is rotational kinetic energy important?

Rotational kinetic energy is important because it helps us understand the motion and behavior of rotating objects, such as wheels, gears, and turbines. It also plays a crucial role in areas like engineering, physics, and sports.

3. Is rotational kinetic energy the same as linear kinetic energy?

No, rotational kinetic energy and linear kinetic energy are two different forms of kinetic energy. Rotational kinetic energy is associated with the motion of an object rotating around an axis, while linear kinetic energy is associated with the motion of an object in a straight line.

4. Can rotational kinetic energy be negative?

Yes, rotational kinetic energy can be negative. This can happen when the object is slowing down and the sign of the angular velocity changes. However, in most cases, rotational kinetic energy is positive as it represents the energy of a rotating object in motion.

5. How does rotational kinetic energy relate to work and power?

Rotational kinetic energy is related to work and power through the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which work is done and can be calculated by dividing the work by the time taken to do it.