Is My Servo Motor Calculated Correctly for My Gearbox?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SevenToFive
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Motor Servo
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
SevenToFive
Messages
56
Reaction score
3
I am running into a minor snag and would like to know if I am going in the right direction or not. Most gearbox catalogs rate everything for input HP rather than input torque. Would I be able to calculate the motor HP by rearranging the Torque(in-lb) = HP*63025 / rpm, or in this case Torque*rpm/63025=HP
Motor runs at 1500rpm, has a stall torque of 92in-lbs.

92in-lbs*1500rpm/63025 = 2.19HP. So if the gearbox is rated for 2.5HP or greater the motor would be okay to use.
Am I on the right path or lost in the woods?

Thanks to those who reply.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

Power = torque * angular velocity

But I only work in SI units.

1500rpm = 157 rads/S
92 in-lbf = 10.4 Nm

Power in Watts = 157 * 10.4
= 1633W
= 2.2HP approx.

PS: I don't know what safety margin to use. If the system will be run at 2.2HP continuously make sure the gearbox rating is also "continuous" and the life at that load is predicted to be long enough.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: SevenToFive