1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is my solution correct? About Rotational motion

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    A rigid body is made of three identical thin rods, each with length L=0.60m, fastened together together in the form of a letter H. The body is free to rotate about a horizontal axis that runs along the length of one of the legs of H. The body is allowed to fall from rest from a position in which the plane of the H is horizontal. What is the angular speed of the body when the plane of the H is vertical?

I am quite not sure that can I change g (gravity) to α (Angular acceleration) by using gr = α

For my solution,
    α (Angular acceleration) = g/r = 9.81/0.6 = 16.4 rad/s2

θ = 90 radian, as it said fall from plane of the H is horizontal to H is vertical.

ω2 = ω02+2aθ
    ω2 = 0 + 2(16.4)(90)

Answer is 54.3 rad/s

Am I all correct? I'm quite not sure especially angular acceleration.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

:confused: That's not how you'd find the angular acceleration. If you wanted the angular acceleration (not needed for this problem, by the way), you'd find the torque acting on the body and the body's rotational inertia about the axis. Note that the angular acceleration changes as the object falls, so kinematic equations that assume constant acceleration will not apply.

Instead of all that, consider the energy changes as the body falls. Hint: Since the body rotates about a fixed axis, you can consider its kinetic energy as purely rotational.

4. Aug 28, 2008 #3
    I still can't solve this problem. Can anybody give me a starter equation?

Thank you.

5. Aug 28, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi noppawit! :smile:
    Hint: What is the KE of the body when the plane is vertical? :smile:

6. Aug 28, 2008 #5

Doc Al

To add to what tiny-tim said, what's the general formula for the rotational KE of a rotating body?

7. Aug 28, 2008 #6
    1/2iω2

8. Aug 28, 2008 #7

Doc Al

Good. Rotational KE = [itex]1/2 I \omega^2[/itex]. What other kind of energy is relevant to this problem? What's the rotational inertia (I) of the body about its axis?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?