Is Newton's 3rd law sufficient to explain buoyancy force?

In summary: In a third law pair, the two forces are in equilibrium with each other. In equilibrium, the net force is zero. For a body in a gravitational field, the force of gravity is always trying to pull the object towards the center of the field. The net force on an object is always downward, and this downward force is called the weight of the object. In summary, the buoyancy force is caused by the pressure differential between the water and the object.
PhysicsNowApple
I assigned a question: Explain the physics mechanism that results in the buoyancy force.

Some students replied: The floating object is interacting with the water. Therefore it exerts a downward force on the water. The water then exerts an upward force on the object due to Newton's Third Law. This force balances the weight of the object. I was looking for the standard: variable depth pressure causes a pressure differential that results in the buoyancy force.

Now I feel that their explanation is not sufficient but I was wondering how to go about addressing their answer because I feel like if I am not careful I might obfuscate their understanding of Newton's 3rd Law.Thank you,

Physics news on Phys.org
The 3rd law just states that the force of the water on the object is the negative of the force of the object on the water. To actually explain buoyancy you need the pressure differential, which in turn results from assuming a hydrostatic situation in a gravitational field.

Likes Daniel Sellers
Orodruin said:
The 3rd law just states that the force of the water on the object is the negative of the force of the object on the water. To actually explain buoyancy you need the pressure differential, which in turn results from assuming a hydrostatic situation in a gravitational field.

Hmmm, so perhaps to address this I should point out that technically the water is exerting a force along all points on the object, so using Newton's third law I cannot find a net force upward. Only by using the pressure differential, do we see that the forces exerted on the top of the object are not as large as the forces exerted on the bottom of the object and then we are able to get a net buoyant force?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy said:
The buoyancy force exerted on a body can now be calculated easily, since the internal pressure of the fluid is known. The force exerted on the body can be calculated by integrating the stress tensor over the surface of the body which is in contact with the fluid:

d53e8b6668b8f0850ba54ec5999a6b04d8256cb4

The surface integral can be transformed into a volume integral with the help of the Gauss theorem:

59aa810e63b67d23daabe691fbd06e8879d425b5

where V is the measure of the volume in contact with the fluid, that is the volume of the submerged part of the body.

PhysicsNowApple said:
The water then exerts an upward force on the object due to Newton's Third Law.
It is vital not to confuse the idea of third law pairs and Forces in Equilibrium (which is a special case).

1. What is Newton's 3rd law?

Newton's 3rd law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How does Newton's 3rd law relate to buoyancy force?

In the case of buoyancy force, Newton's 3rd law explains that when an object is submerged in a fluid, it exerts a downward force on the fluid (action). In response, the fluid exerts an upward force on the object (reaction), which is the buoyancy force.

3. Is Newton's 3rd law sufficient to fully explain buoyancy force?

No, Newton's 3rd law is not sufficient to fully explain buoyancy force. While it explains the relationship between the object and the fluid, it does not take into account other factors such as the density and volume of the object and the density of the fluid. These factors are also important in determining the magnitude of the buoyancy force.

4. Can other laws or principles help explain buoyancy force?

Yes, other laws and principles such as Archimedes' principle and the ideal gas law can also help explain buoyancy force. Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. The ideal gas law relates the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas, which can be used to explain the behavior of fluids in relation to buoyancy force.

5. Are there any limitations to Newton's 3rd law in explaining buoyancy force?

Yes, there are limitations to Newton's 3rd law in explaining buoyancy force. It does not take into account the shape or size of the object, which can affect the distribution of the buoyant force. It also does not consider the effects of surface tension, viscosity, and turbulence, which can all impact the behavior of fluids and the resulting buoyant force.