1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Is physics bachelors degree required to carry out masters in quantum physics?

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1
    Hi i'm currently pursuing electronics and communication degree in India. I'm confused whether to get another bachelors degree in physics or i can directly do my masters. Most of my friends suggested to directly carry masters in any US colleges so that professors would be knowing what i lack and would be of help. Please guide me through this as i'm aspiring to get my masters in quantum physics.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2012 #2

uby

Have you had significant exposure to quantum mechanics at an undergraduate level? Do you have a strong background in the mathematics necessary to study this subject at a graduate level?

4. Dec 4, 2012 #3

eri

There's no such thing as a masters in quantum physics. It's just a masters in physics, and it requires a bachelors in physics. Many US schools do not consider a bachelors from India equivalent to a bachelors here; some will make you earn a masters in physics in India before applying to their masters programs. Many also don't grant a terminal masters; it's a PhD or nothing.

5. Dec 5, 2012 #4
    As i have encountered, the maths required for quantum physics is nowhere taught in engineering scheme in depth. And all i have in physics is analytical skills in physics and nothing theoretical. I'm strong at computing mathematics but not at analysing. So is it recommended to carry another undergraduation in physics? Or advance undergraduation program provided by colleges helps me carry on my masters? The reason behind my confusion is that i need in-depth understanding of physics and im more interested in particle physics(theoretical prediction). So now is my move and i have to make it right. So kindly analyse a situation and shower me with best possibility. Thanks

6. Dec 5, 2012 #5
    In India pertaining to engineering course, our masters would be completely channelised to the field of interest. So i never knew that it never existed. So suggest me about what its like doing masters there and BS physics.

7. Dec 5, 2012 #6
    No, that's not true. I'll point to myself as an example: I have an MS in physics, but no BS in physics.

That said, I did end up taking most of the upper division undergraduate physics courses in the course of my studies.

8. Dec 5, 2012 #7
    So whats your point for me? How does it actually help me with those words?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  9. Dec 5, 2012 #8

eri

Yes, you can get into a graduate program in physics without a BS in physics, but not without significant physics coursework. Grad schools don't start over at the beginning - they assume you just spent 4 years studying the subject and pick up from there.

10. Dec 6, 2012 #9
    Exactly. If you really want to, it is possible. However, there are no short cuts... at least none that I know of.

11. Dec 6, 2012 #10
    So you guys are implying me to have another BS in physics to support my courses and advanced UG course doesn't support my motto?

12. Dec 6, 2012 #11

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

13. Dec 6, 2012 #12
    No, not at all. Using the only example I have at hand, I had to do about a year's worth of remedial undergraduate course work when I got my MS. (I had studied a lot on my own before I started any courses, otherwise it would have been closer to two years.)

If you *only* take the upper division physics courses in a BS program, it takes much less than four years.

I'm actually trying to be encouraging here. You *can* get an advanced degree in physics without having a bachelor's in physics first. However, it will take longer, because you *will* have a lot of ground that you need to make up.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook