Is Precision of Excitation Voltage Important for Load Cell Accuracy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
j777
Messages
148
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I'm trying to decide how I will provide excitation voltage to the wheatstone bridge of a load cell. The output of the load cell will be amplified by an LT1167 In-Amp. How concerned should I be about the precision/accuracy of the excitation voltage? Since the In-Amp will reject common mode voltages (which should include any fluctuations caused by change in excitation voltage) would a standard +-5% linear regulator work without introducing and real error in the output?


Thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you looking at bridge output as instrument output, or are you balancing the bridge and looking at the balance as instrument output?
 
Then, accuracy is a linear function of excitation voltage; output is proportional to excitation voltage. 5% in excitation is 5% in output. If you're going to use that as input to a control circuit and drive that to a "zero set-point," no sweat. If you're buying or selling bulk material by weight, you're screwed.
 
Wouldn't any variations in excitation voltage be common mode since only the difference between IN+ and IN- from the load cell is amplified?
 
What's the output of the cell under load at a zero excitation voltage? At 1 V? At 10? The bridge is a passive device. It's output is the difference between the voltages at mid-points on two voltage dividers. If by "common mode," you mean that the amp gain is a linear function of excitation voltage, you're going to have to post the specs on the 1167. "In-amp" ain't something I've run into, but I ain't been in the game lately. I've been talking on the assumption that "In" is short for "instrumentation amp," a souped up op-amp. Without some input giving it "information" on excitation voltage, it has no way of knowing what scale factor to apply to gain, given a variable bridge output for fixed load.
 
Thank you for making some sense of what I was saying. I wasn't thinking clearly but I understand what you are saying now. Your explanation was very helpful as I am definitely not an expert with this stuff.
 
Welcome. I failed to point out that the usual use of "common mode rejection" refers to "stray" inputs that appear simultaneously at both inputs to an op-amp --- inductive pick-up of power line noise, or other environmental phenomena.