Is Principles of Mathematics a Good Book for Learning Calculus from Scratch?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Darth Frodo
Messages
211
Reaction score
1
Can anyone recommend a good calculus book that starts from the very beginning and also explains the theory behind differentiation and integration. If it were to go from HS to Freshman year that would be great!

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such book, I fear. Every book will assume some knowledge, some books will require more knowledge than others.

A book I like is "Practical Analysis in One Variable" by Estep. It goes over integers and rational number arithmetic and stuff, so you could say that it doesn't assume very much.

In any case, let me also recommend you "Basic mathematics" by Lang. This book contains literally everything you need to know in order to start calculus.
 
Great! Thanks micromass! Yeah I already picked up Lang's book based on your numerous recommendations! I also wrote down that calculus book from reading your blogs, just wasn't sure if it was a good starting point.

Thanks again! Very helpful as always!
 
there is such a book!

Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer

This is the book that first got me into mathematics. It covers everything from functions, counting, induction, building up to calculus. And it is also a fairly rigorous book ( has delta-epsilons )
 
Last edited:
wisvuze said:
there is such a book!

Principles of Mathematics by Allendoefer

This is the book that first got me into mathematics. It covers everything from functions, counting, induction, building up to calculus. And it is also a fairly rigorous book ( has delta-epsilons )

Ooh, sounds like an exciting book. I need to check it out.