Is radiation pressure a thing?

In summary, light can transfer or cause momentum through radiation pressure, which can be utilized for propulsion engines such as solar sails. This can also be demonstrated through other applications like optical trapping and applying torque with polarized light. Additionally, both classical EM wave theory and photon theory can predict the same force for a given intensity of incident EM waves.
24forChromium
I have seen the radiometer (mill in a bulb with differently coloured leaves) explained by thermodynamics, but also this:

where little particles are propelled by laser beam.

So, does light beam actually transfer or cause momentum in some way? If it does, is there any chance to make a propulsion engine with this? I would like to know more about it, explained in terms of simple-ish mechanics or photons' behaviours.

Science news on Phys.org
24forChromium said:
I have seen the radiometer (mill in a bulb with differently coloured leaves) explained by thermodynamics, but also this:

So, does light beam actually transfer or cause momentum in some way?

Yes.
One has to account for solar radiation pressure for exact calculations of (Earth) satellite orbits.
Google "solar sail".

24forChromium said:

So, does light beam actually transfer or cause momentum in some way?

tfr000 said:
Yes.
One has to account for solar radiation pressure for exact calculations of (Earth) satellite orbits.
Google "solar sail".
Momentum is conserved, right? That means if I shoot a beam of light in one direction, I should receive an impulse in the other direction, and no matter whether or not the beam of light lands on something. Would that be how radiation pressure can be used for a (very ineffective) kind of propulsion?

24forChromium said:
Momentum is conserved, right? That means if I shoot a beam of light in one direction, I should receive an impulse in the other direction, and no matter whether or not the beam of light lands on something. Would that be how radiation pressure can be used for a (very ineffective) kind of propulsion?
Ya know, I've never thought about it before... light for propulsion is always presented as an outside source fired at the craft.

Two ideas are getting confused here. There is such a thing as radiation pressure, but it's not what turns a Crookes radiometer. (Look and see which direction it turns)

Likes DrewD
Vanadium 50 said:
Two ideas are getting confused here. There is such a thing as radiation pressure, but it's not what turns a Crookes radiometer. (Look and see which direction it turns)
I never said it does.
I am asking if a flashlight is getting pushed backward when it's on.

24forChromium said:
I am asking if a flashlight is getting pushed backward when it's on.

It is. Calculating the magnitude of that reaction force is a good exercise that will go a long ways towards explaining why we don't notice this effect with flashlights. On the other hand, if something with very low mass emits sufficiently energetic electromagnetic quickly enough (for example, an atomic nucleus emitting gamma radiation) there will be a measurable recoil.

24forChromium said:

That's correct.

tfr000 said:
Ya know, I've never thought about it before... light for propulsion is always presented as an outside source fired at the craft.

I think it's an issue of fuel. Using a ground-based or space-based laser and a vehicle-based reflector, you can get a identical effect without having to use any power on the vehicle, which means you save tons of weight since you don't have to lug around as much fuel.

24forChromium said:
<snip>So, does light beam actually transfer or cause momentum in some way? <snip>

Two more applications- optical trapping, and applying torque using polarized light on birefringent materials.

This is, AFAIK, the earliest demonstration:

http://journals.aps.org/pri/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevSeriesI.13.307

(I don't count Kepler's hypothesis to explain comet tails as a demonstration)

lightarrow said:
The choice to post those links might suggest that light pressure can only be explained in terms of photons. In fact, classical em (wave) theory predicts precisely the same force for a given intensity of incident em waves. The only reference I can give is my old degree course book by Panovski and Philips but afaik, it is standard degree level EM theory.

sophiecentaur said:
The choice to post those links might suggest that light pressure can only be explained in terms of photons. In fact, classical em (wave) theory predicts precisely the same force for a given intensity of incident em waves. The only reference I can give is my old degree course book by Panovski and Philips but afaik, it is standard degree level EM theory.
That light as electromagnetic wave has momentum has already been said in this thread by several poster and can be seen from the flux of Poyinting vector, force on a charge, etc. Actually I was looking for "laser" or similar "light" engine but I didn't find any, so I posted that, even because it was one of the OP choices: "I would like to know more about it, explained in terms of simple-ish mechanics or photons' behaviours."
I can only add a link to solar sails even if it's not exactly what I was looking for:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_sail

P.S. it's "Panofsky and Phillips", my friend! :smile:

--
lightarrow

Last edited:
lightarrow said:
P.S. it's "Panofsky and Phillips", my friend!
Haha. My memory was working phonetically. The book is still in a box, after we moved house.

I must avoid posting after 'reading' threads on my phone. It gives me tunnel vision.
I guess that the 'mechanical' view of the phenomenon, involving particles is the more intuitive. One of the (not too frequent) times that photons actually seem really to help the understanding of an em phenomenon.

I suppose that any discussion concerning the reality of radiation pressure wouldn’t really be complete without any mention of the most depressingly vivid demonstration of its power: it’s how the H-bomb works.

In a thermonuclear weapon, thermal radiation emitted by the walls of a container heated to millions of degrees is used to compress and heat a mixture of hydrogen isotopes until they undergo nuclear fusion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiation_implosion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermonuclear_weapon

The H-bomb is a horrible contraption, but you have to marvel at the ingenuity of its design.

1. What is radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure is the force exerted by electromagnetic radiation on an object. It is a result of the transfer of momentum from photons to the object's surface when they are absorbed or reflected.

2. Is radiation pressure a real phenomenon?

Yes, radiation pressure is a well-established physical phenomenon that has been observed and studied in various fields, including astronomy, physics, and engineering.

3. How does radiation pressure affect objects?

Radiation pressure can have a significant impact on objects, depending on their size and the intensity of the radiation. It can cause objects to move, deform, or even break apart.

4. Can radiation pressure be used for propulsion?

Yes, radiation pressure can be utilized for propulsion in certain situations, such as solar sails in space travel. By reflecting sunlight, the photons can provide a small but continuous force to propel the sail forward.

5. Is radiation pressure harmful to living organisms?

In small amounts, radiation pressure is not harmful to living organisms. However, high levels of radiation can be dangerous and cause damage to cells and tissues in the body. It is important to limit exposure to radiation and take precautions when working with it.