Is rubbing alcohol and anticoagulant

• Thread starter hxtasy
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Question as stated. Just wondering because when i get cuts i put rubbing alcohol on it, but i have come to believe that that does not help the bleeding to stop.

Answers and Replies

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You put alcohol on a cut to disinfect it, not to stop the bleeding. While you're cleaning a wound, you're physically washing away the clot, so it will continue bleeding until you stop messing with it (but in some cases, letting it bleed for a little while is beneficial for helping flush out any contaminants, as long as it's not so much that you're risking your health with blood loss).

Danger
Gold Member
I don't know about direct application to a wound, but I can tell you as an alcoholic that drinking alcohol (not the rubbing variety) thins the blood and will thus prolong bleeding.

danger,

Do you know why drinking alcohol thins the blood, What is the mechanism? thanks

I also wondered why people say to drink alcohol when you are cold, i thought that was a myth and that you may feel warmer but because of the thinner blood it's actually bad for you. anyone know about this?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Alcohol is a vasodilator. It causes your arteries to relax, increasing blood to your extremities and other non-survival-critical organs such as your stomach, making them flush with warmth.

This may make you feel better short-term, but it is actually a bad idea in principle. The reason your extremities are cold is because your body is shutting down blood-supply to non-core organs in an attempt to keep your core temperature stable. Losing core temp. is what will kill you, not frozen limbs.

Alcohol completely defeats this natural life-saving defense.

The upshot is that alocohol will only help you warm up if you are not in danger of suffering from hypothermia.

Last edited: