Is the Assumption for Equation 6.27 in Srednicki's QFT Implied?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
4,662
Reaction score
372

Homework Statement


I am reading the solutions manual of Srednicki's textbook in QFT (alongside reading the textbook itself).
Here it is:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/87916496/Srednicki-Ms-Qft-Solutions-Rev

So the equation that he arrives at (6.27).

I am not sure I understand how did he arrive at the RHS?

I mean if I write the exponent down, i.e [tex]e^{-(q_2-q_1)^2/(2c)} e^{-(q_1-q_0)^2/(2c)}[/tex]
then I get:
[tex]-[(q_2-q_1)^2/2c + (q_1 -q_0)^2/2c] = -[\frac{(q_2-q_0)^2}{4c} +\frac{2q_1^2-2q_1(q_2+q_0)+q_2q_0}{2c}[/tex]

Now to get the RHS we need to assume that: [tex]q_2q_0 - 2q_1(q_2+q_0)=0[/tex] which I don't see it written in the textbook, perhaps I skipped over it...

Is it written in the book?



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
I got the answer in (6.27) without any extra assumptions.

Do your Gaussian integral more carefully! :cool:
 
OK, I can see my mistake, it shouild be:

[tex]-[(q_2-q_1)^2/2x +(q_1-q_0)^2/2c] = -(q_2-q_0)^2/4c - (q_1 - (q_0+q_2)/2)^2/c[/tex]

So all is OK.
:-D foolish me.