Is the C=O Bond Length Shortened Due to Resonance?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Masschaos
Messages
30
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The Questions asks if the C=O bond length is shortened due to resonance

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Now, I know that double bonds are stronger than a single bond and the strength outweighs the repulsion by the electrons. I'm just hesitant to say that its true because I'm not sure about the 'due to resonance' part. I feel like it is trying to trip me up.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
AFAIK, the term http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resonance_(chemistry)" in the context of chemistry only applies in some situations where there is more than two atoms. Did the problem give you an entire molecule?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
No, It said exactly that.
I had decided that the bond length was shorter, but not due to resonance. Due to the energy of double bonds and such, and I was correct according the the exam.