Is the calculation related to average or probability?

In summary: For example, the ordering (1,2,3) results in the same utility as the ordering (3,1,2). But the paper treats them as different. So when I say the probability of ordering (1,2,3) being the one observed, I mean the probability of the two corresponding orders (1,2,3) and (3,1,2), and hence I mean 2/6.In summary, the research paper is discussing a calculation involving the utilities and probabilities of different outcomes for three tenants (i1, i2, i3) choosing between three houses (h1, h2, h3). The calculation is done by multiplying the probability of each outcome with its
zak100
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to understand a calculation in a research. I feel they are trying to calculate probability

They are doing following calculation:

1/6*(uh1) + 3/6*(uh2) + 2/6 (uh3) =17/6
Hi,

I am trying to understand the calculation in the following research paper:
http://cramton.umd.edu/market-design/abdulkadiroglu-sonmez-house-allocation.pdf

House Allocation with Existing Tenant.png

Physics news on Phys.org
zak100 said:

1/6*(uh1) + 3/6*(uh2) + 2/6 (uh3) =17/6

According to the paper, the table of utilities gives ##u(h_1)= 3##, ##u(h_2) =4##, ##u(h_3) = 1##. The calculation shown in the paper is ##(1/6) u(h_1) +( 3/6)u(h_2) + (2/6) (u(h_3) = 3/6 + 12/6 + 2/6 = 17/6##.

For tenant 1, the function ##u## is a random variable. It has 3 possible outcomes (the ##u(h_i)##) and with each outcome there is an associated probability ##p_i## The sum of products of the form ##p_i u(h_i)## is the expected value of the random variable, which some call its average.

Hi,
Thanks for your response. I am still reading.
Zulfi.

Hi,

Thanks for your response:

with each outcome there is an associated probability ##p_i##

Please tell me how we can state this probability ##p_i## in words?

Zulfi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each of the 6 orderings is assumed to have an equal probability. For example, the ordering ##i_2, i_1, i_3## has probability 1/6. With that ordering, we assume tenant ##i_2## picks his favorite house, so he picks house ##h_1##. The leaves the choices available for ##i_1## to be houses ##h_2,\ h_3##. Tenant ##i_1## choses house ##h_2## since it has utility 4 to him and 4 > 1.

There are 3 out of 6 orderings where tenant ##i_1## choses house ##h_2## and obtains a utility of 4. So there is a 3/6 chance that the random variable ##u## = "utility of the result to tenant 1" is equal to 4.

##p_i## = the probability that tenant ##i_1## obtains utility ##u(h_i)##

Likes zak100
Thanks a lot for solving my problem.

God bless you.

Hi,

Sorry I can't understand the fractional values 1/6, 2/6 and 3/6. How can you say that :

For example, the ordering i2,i1,i3 has probability 1/6.

Somebody please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Sorry I can't understand the fractional values 1/6, 2/6 and 3/6. How can you say that :

The paper assumes all possible orderings of how the 3 tenants make choices have the same probability. There are 6 possible orders: (1,2,3),(1,3,2),(2,1,3),... etc.

Some possible orders result in the same utility for observer 1.

1. What is the difference between calculating an average and calculating probability?

The calculation of an average involves finding the sum of a set of numbers and dividing it by the total number of values in the set. This gives a measure of central tendency for the data. On the other hand, calculating probability involves determining the likelihood of a particular event occurring based on the available data.

2. How is the average used in probability calculations?

The average can be used in probability calculations as a measure of expected value. This means that it represents the average outcome of a random event occurring over a large number of trials. It can also be used to calculate the standard deviation, which is a measure of the spread of data around the average.

3. Can an average be used to determine the likelihood of an event occurring?

No, an average alone cannot determine the likelihood of an event occurring. Probability calculations take into account other factors such as the sample size, the number of possible outcomes, and the conditions of the event. However, the average can be used as one of the inputs in probability calculations.

4. How do you calculate the average of a set of probabilities?

The average of a set of probabilities can be calculated by multiplying each probability by its corresponding outcome and then adding all the products together. For example, if there are three outcomes with probabilities of 0.2, 0.3, and 0.5, the average would be (0.2*1) + (0.3*2) + (0.5*3) = 1.6.

5. Is it possible for the average and probability to have the same value?

Yes, it is possible for the average and probability to have the same value in certain cases. For example, if all the outcomes in a set have equal probabilities, then the average and probability will be the same. However, in most cases, the average and probability will have different values as they represent different aspects of the data.