Is the Decay of Δ⁺ to p⁺ and π⁰ Possible?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
nonequilibrium
Messages
1,412
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Are the following reactions possible? If yes, explain why and how the reaction occurs. If no, explain why.

...

[itex]\Delta^+ \to p^+ + \pi^0[/itex]"

Homework Equations


NA

The Attempt at a Solution


First of all, it wouldn't break any conservation law, hence it is possible (or is this reasoning faulty? In other words is there an example of something not breaking any conservation law, even kinematically, yet not happening since it has no possible Feynman diagram?)

Now, although I'm sure it's possible, I'm not sure what to answer on "how the reaction occurs": am I right in thinking that it is possible through all three interactions? (strong, electromagnetic, weak)

I can think of two sensible things to answer: either list all possible reactions, or list the dominant one (always the strong force when possible via that interaction?). Which of the two is most sensible? And to specifically describe that strong interaction, I would draw the following beautiful picture
attachment.php?attachmentid=47730&stc=1&d=1338239807.gif

Is this correct? And is it also of lowest order, or am I overlooking something simpler? (am I right in thinking that I can NOT leave out the second gluon, cause otherwise that branch on the right hand side would be detached from the other branch, which is not allowed (?))

EDIT: on second thought, the first gluon seems superfluous?
 
Attachments
  • decay.gif
    decay.gif
    7 KB · Views: 762
Physics news on Phys.org
mr. vodka said:
EDIT: on second thought, the first gluon seems superfluous?

Yes, it is. The single gluon diagram is dominant.