Is the earth the centre of the solar system?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 8K views
boomerang
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
If we can see equally far in every direction, which I believe is true, then that makes
the Earth the centre of the known universe, does it not?

I mean that means the Sun revolves around the Earth as the early church believed and
Galileo was wrong to believe the Earth revolved around the Sun.

It just appears the Earth revolves around the Sun, due to local conditions, because we
assume the Sun is in a fixed position when really we have no proof it is fixed.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
boomerang said:
If we can see equally far in every direction, which I believe is true, then that makes
the Earth the centre of the known universe, does it not?

No, it means the Earth is the center of its visible (Hubble) Universe.

boomerang said:
I mean that means the Sun revolves around the Earth as the early church believed and
Galileo was wrong to believe the Earth revolved around the Sun.

It just appears the Earth revolves around the Sun, due to local conditions, because we
assume the Sun is in a fixed position when really we have no proof it is fixed.

No. Is this a joke?
 
If it's a joke, it's not very funny! This topic is not open for discussion here.