Is the fabric of space time 2d or 3d

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
6thgrader
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Well when I watch movies I see space time as 2d. But how do we see the space time from Earth to a region lower than earth.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
6thgrader said:
Well when I watch movies I see space time as 2d.
Space-time is 4D. But we cannot visualize this, so we usually just show a 2D slice, with the relevant dimensions.

6thgrader said:
But how do we see the space time from Earth to a region lower than earth.
There is no "lower than earth" in space. All radial directions (away from the center) are the same. Space-time along the radial line looks locally like shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdC0QN6f3G4

At a larger scale like this:
http://www.adamtoons.de/physics/gravitation.swf