1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the following function differentiable?

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    I have:
    http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6121/capturerhf.png [Broken]

Is the function differentiable in (0,2)? If so, find its Tangent Plane.

So far I have
    We have [itex](\nabla f)(0,2)=(f_x(0,2).f_y(0,2))=\ldots=(0,1)[/itex] , so if [itex]f[/itex] is differentiable at [itex](0,2)[/itex] the only possible differential is [itex]\lambda (h,k)=(\nabla f)(0,2)(h,k)^t=k[/itex] .So I have to analyze [itex]\displaystyle\lim_{(h,k) \to (0,0)} \frac{|f(0+h,2+k)-f(0,2)-\lambda (h,k)|}{ \left\|{(h,k)}\right\|}=0[/itex] but I can't seem to solve it.

And I also don't know how to find a tangent plane

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2
    I came to a conclusion that f is indeed differentiable.

Can someone please help me understand how to prove it? Someone suggested that i use the Taylor expansion but i don't know how to use it. So i'm hoping someone could show me :)

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As a prerequisite, the function needs to be continuous at the point in question for a derivative to exist at that point. Is this function continuous at (x,y)=(0,2)?

Assuming it is continuous, this is a function of two variables, so you need to investigate both the partial with respect to x and with respect to y. For x not equal to zero you will get one pair of partial derivatives, for x equal to zero you will get another. Is the first set equal to the second set in the limit x→0?

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4
    when i try to take the partial derivatives i can't really take them to x->0 and i get stuck with the epsilon business.

The general steps for showing differentiability doesn't really apply here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook