Is the Fundamental group of the circle abelian?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
fraggle
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Is the Fundamental group of the circle (S^1) abelian?

Not a homework question, just something I want to use.


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


Intuitively it appears to be and it is isomorphic to the additive group of integers which is abelian. I believe isomorphism preserve the abelian property. I'd just like a second opinion.

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The fundamental group of the circle is the integers, which is abelian.
 
fraggle said:

Homework Statement


Is the Fundamental group of the circle (S^1) abelian?

Not a homework question, just something I want to use.


Homework Equations




The Attempt at a Solution


Intuitively it appears to be and it is isomorphic to the additive group of integers which is abelian. I believe isomorphism preserve the abelian property. I'd just like a second opinion.

Thanks

If you have an isomorphism from G to H, call it f, and H is abelian then

f(gh)=f(g)f(h)=f(h)f(g) (since H is abelian) = f(hg)

So f(gh)=f(hg) which means gh=hg since f is a bijection. Hence G is abelian too