Is the Hamilton-Jacobi Formalism a Classical Analogue to Quantum Wave Functions?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter fanieh
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
62 replies · 8K views
Demystifier said:
@fanieh you are so fast in making questions. Do you ever try to answer them by yourself?

Ive been thinking of this for months. Schlosshauer only mentioned about the theme about "nothing happens in many worlds" indirectly only in 2 pages.. in page 337 "Everett Branches and the Preferred-Basis Problem". The book doesn't mention at all how the initial environment and system got decomposed in MWI. It didn't mention about the Factorization problem. It is only in PF archives that I can read about it.

Anyway. You sure there is no fatal flaw in the concept that a 5th fundamental force created the position preferred basis in MWI to become BM. Well. I'd lecture this to thousand of students so hope it's not illogical or false.. lol.. thanks..
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fanieh said:
Oh. I wrote the reply before I saw you asked it.. Again..

Schlosshauer only mentioned about the theme about "nothing happens in many worlds" indirectly only in 2 pages.. in page 337 "Everett Branches and the Preferred-Basis Problem". The book doesn't mention at all how the initial environment and system got decomposed in MWI. It didn't mention about the Factorization problem. It is only in PF archives that I can read about it.

Anyway. You sure there is no fatal flaw in the concept that a 5th fundamental force created the position preferred basis in MWI to become BM. Well. I'd lecture this to thousand of students so hope it's not illogical or false.. lol.. thanks..

The Schlosshauer book didn't mention about the Factorization Problem that's why I was kinda confused about it. Well.. the mere fact our universe has environment and system splitted in the Big Bang means there is already position chosen.. and it doesn't mean there is BM, right? so it appears BM is just alternative way of looking at it or addition to preferred basis chosen in the initial environment-system decomposition isn't it? Schlosshaer nearly talked about this when he mentioned Stapp paper in page 337.. but he stopped short and so readers would not be aware of the problem. That's why I'm confused about this.
 
fanieh said:
Ive been thinking of this for months. Schlosshauer only mentioned about the theme about "nothing happens in many worlds" indirectly only in 2 pages.. in page 337 "Everett Branches and the Preferred-Basis Problem". The book doesn't mention at all how the initial environment and system got decomposed in MWI. It didn't mention about the Factorization problem. It is only in PF archives that I can read about it.
You can read https://arxiv.org/abs/1703.08341 Sec. 3.3 Refs. [22,23,24].
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fanieh