Understanding Quantum Theory: Wave vs Vector in Hilbert Space

In summary: Wave functions are vectors in Hilbert space. For example, position is a complex valued function on the reals in L2, which is a Hilbert space.In summary, the discussion delves into the relationship between wave functions and Hilbert space in quantum mechanics. While wave functions are vectors in Hilbert space and can be represented as such, it is important to note that they are not the same and the choice of basis is purely for convenience. This can be difficult to explain to laymen, but there are resources available to help with this task.
PeterDonis said:
I don't think so, because the Hermitian operator itself just picks the basis; it doesn't pick which of the basis elements determines the result of the measurement. The result of the measurement is a random choice among the possible values, with the probability of each value being equal to the squared modulus of the complex amplitude associated with the corresponding basis element.

I would also observe that your suggested language here has nothing whatever to do with wave functions, which I thought was what you were trying to use as your "newbie" version of QM.
I don't know. I'm not sure this is even doable, or worth doing. To me, trying to teach QM without using basis or vectors is like trying to teach arithmetic without using addition.

A key advantage of the state vector formalism in QM is that it avoids having to commit to any specific choice of basis or representation of states; you're just using the underlying Hilbert space structure that is there no matter what basis or representation you choose. That makes it much more general and much more useful than the wave function formalism, which commits you to a specific choice of basis (in wave function language, this would be the variable or variables that the wave function is a function of, like ##x## in the position representation) and a specific representation.

Why, wave function language without committing to any choice of basis and without any specific representation doesn't make sense? but the schroedinger equation can still be written without any basis.. is it not.

Physics news on Phys.org
fanieh said:
the schroedinger equation can still be written without any basis.. is it not

No. The Schrodinger equation is explicitly written in the position basis. It takes derivatives with respect to ##x## (and ##t##, but time in non-relativistic QM is a parameter, not a basis choice); that means you've chosen the position basis.

Likes fanieh and bhobba
PeterDonis said:
No. The Schrodinger equation is explicitly written in the position basis. It takes derivatives with respect to ##x## (and ##t##, but time in non-relativistic QM is a parameter, not a basis choice); that means you've chosen the position basis.

reading about wave function in Wikipedia I reached the last paragraph and it was written: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_function

"Whether the wave function really exists, and what it represents, are major questions in the interpretation of quantum mechanics. Many famous physicists of a previous generation puzzled over this problem, such as Schrödinger, Einstein and Bohr. Some advocate formulations or variants of the Copenhagen interpretation (e.g. Bohr, Wigner and von Neumann) while others, such as Wheeler or Jaynes, take the more classical approach[42] and regard the wave function as representing information in the mind of the observer, i.e. a measure of our knowledge of reality. Some, including Schrödinger, Bohm and Everett and others, argued that the wave function must have an objective, physical existence. Einstein thought that a complete description of physical reality should refer directly to physical space and time, as distinct from the wave function, which refers to an abstract mathematical space.[43]"

Why do we heard it asked whether wave function really exist or have an objective, physical existence. Yet we never heard it asked whether the state vectors really exist or have an objective, physical existence? This is the point of this thread.

fanieh said:
Why do we heard it asked whether wave function really exist or have an objective, physical existence. Yet we never heard it asked whether the state vectors really exist or have an objective, physical existence?

Yes, we have. You are reading that paragraph way too literally. As the term "wave function" is used in that particular paragraph in the Wiki article, it just means "whatever mathematical object we are using to describe the quantum state of the system"--i.e., it could be a wave function in the stricter sense of ##\psi(x)##, or it could be a state vector. If you look at the actual literature on the subject, you will see people asking the question both ways--"does the wave function really exist" and "does the state vector really exist". The question is the same either way.

fanieh said:
This is the point of this thread.

Then this whole thread has been based on a simple misunderstanding on your part, and is therefore closed.

Likes vanhees71 and weirdoguy