Is the Kinetic Friction Coefficient Consistent Across Different Modes of Motion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
badsis
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello,

Here is my question:
should the kinetic friction coefficient Fk be the same when the object with mass m is pulled with a constant velocity as the kinetic friction coefficient with the same mass m when it was pushed and released.
The measurements in the second case were taken from the decelerating part of the Force vs. Time graph.

I have several table with data many of which i have calculated myself.
from the formula: Fk = ;mu * Fn
Fk - kinetik friction force,
;mu - coefficient of friction kinetic force
Fn - normal force
in the first case I have:
m = 0.09 kg
Fk = 0.1387 N (the uncertainty here is 17% ! Fk = 0.1387 +- 0.0238)
Fn = 0.882 N
=> ;mu = 0.1573

In the second case:
m = 0.09 kg
Fk = 0.2585 N
Fn = 0.882 N
=> ;mu = 0.2931
here i also have uncertainty in acceleration which I use in order to find Fk.

So, my question is: Should the coefficient ;mu be different in two cases or do I have such a big error?

THANKS!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficient should be the same. If you are pulling the mass be careful that no component of the force acts upwards since this will reduce the normal force.