Is the Name of Your Degree Important for Statistical Jobs at the MSc Level?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
3.141592
Messages
79
Reaction score
8
Hi all, quick query please:

My nearest university is a good one (with a good department) but offers only an MSc Mathematics, not an MSc Statistics. But the course options are such that it can be virtually all statistics and probability. E.g. modules include Mathematical Biology, Medical Statistics, Probability Modelling, Linear Statistical Models etc.

Would the name of the degree get it immediately passed over by HR etc. before any hiring managers get the chance to see the transcript?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
To the OP:

Some universities (in both Canada and the US) don't offer separate statistics MSc degrees but is instead offered within the math department, and it appears that the situation is the same in the UK as well (as I recall, I believe you mentioned you are based there).

Personally, I don't think the name of the degree will really matter that much, so long as you mention in the resume that your MSc in Mathematics involved a specialization in statistics. You could also list key courses that you took in your MSc that would be relevant for your work in statistics, as well as any research projects or internships related to the field -- HR should be able to pick up on this in their searches.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Just to add to Statguy2000 good advice. Be sure to know* a couple of the main statistical software programs used in your desired field and list that in your resume. It was rare for me to hire someone who didn't know SAS or SPSS. While it isn't difficult to learn, I feel that they are easy enough to learn that an applicant should spend some time getting know them before I hire them. Saves me a lot of time and headache.

*By know, I think it's sufficient to be able to use the GUI for most people, but as a statistician, I would expect you to know how to program. It isn't hard, but a little knowledge goes a long way.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person