1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math Grad School Choices: MSc Math or Stats?

1. Jul 12, 2012 #1

jpf

Hi, all. This is my first post. Although my question isn't directly physics related, I hope I will be able to get some feedback, as I haven't had much luck finding career advice forums for math & stats.

I recently obtained a BSc with a major in Mathematics. This is not an honours or specialization degree; instead, I simply took a number of math and stats courses that interested me (ODEs, PDEs, calculus, analysis, modelling, probability, stats, linear algebra, etc.). Other coursework includes 2nd year physics, chem, neuroscience, and genetics.

I am trying to decide what to focus on in grad school. I am old enough that I feel a PhD is more or less unrealistic, but I am willing to devote 2-3 years for an MSc. I have done some undergrad research in modelling related to biological systems and enjoy it. Employment opportunities are a significant concern for me, but I'm not out to make the most money possible, just a reasonably good salary (hopefully 70k+/year after some experience).

I'm attempting to wrap my head around the opportunities and job market for someone with a math background, and I've gotten the impression that a MSc in stats would be more employable than an MSc in applied math (say biomathematics), especially if stopping at the MSc level. I like stats, particularly stochastic processes rather than, say, running t-tests, but I think I prefer modelling. That being said, I'd happily pursue stats if it meant a significantly better chance of a career.

I have a few years experience writing software (mostly business web apps).

I would love to hear some opinions or anecdotes, especially from those who have experience in either or both areas.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2012 #2

jpf

If my first post was too long, here are my main questions:

Which master's degree is more likely to enable me to find degree-related work, applied math or statistics?

I've been told a master's is sufficient to start a career in stats. Is the same true of applied math, or is a PhD generally required?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook