Is the Salary for a Postdoc in Krakow Enough to Live Comfortably?

In summary: Dear All,I am wondering if anyone has any experience with a postdoc fellowship in the amount of 3160 PLN per month. I have done some research and found that the salary seems low for two people to live on. Is this salary enough for two people to live in Krakow on? How much would be the rent for a two person apartment? Is it possible to save money on living in Krakow if salary is not enough?All,I don't know Kraków to well, but I know a thing or two about Poland in general. According to my research, the salary offered for a postdoc fellowship in Poland is not very high. The salary is 760 EUR per
Rajini
Dear All,
Curious to know about postdoc fellowship amount.
Is it really very low as 3160 polish zloty (=760 EUR) per month?
Is it sufficient for two person to live in Krakow with this salary?
How much would be the house rent (i cook myself)?
Is it possible to save some money?
Thanks all for your reply.
Regards, Rajini.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know Kraków to well, but I know a thing or two about Poland in general.

Rajini said:
Is it really very low as 3160 polish zloty (=760 EUR) per month?

Make sure it is what you will really get - it can be lowered by taxes.

Is it sufficient for two person to live in Krakow with this salary?

I know people living for less in Warsaw, which is a more expensive city. Definitely doable, doesn't have to be easy.

How much would be the house rent (i cook myself)?

See http://olx.pl/nieruchomosci/mieszkania/wynajem/krakow/ for examples.

Is it possible to save some money?

Not much probably.

3160 zl is not bad salary for single person. However if it's for two people... I think you can do it but it won't be middle-class standard. Rather than that it will be "undergraduate" standard. Let's see:

- rent: 800 zl for a big room in a flat shared with other people and 1200-1300zl for a 1 room flat (bedroom/living room, kitchen, bathroom), nothing fancy but water and internet included, forget about 2 room flat, it costs around 1600-2000 zl

- food: one person spends on food around 600 zl, if you cook for two people it will be cheaper but still around 900-1000zl, nothing fancy: soup, bread with jam or cheese, joghurt, chicken with some veggies and potatos/rice, forget about expensive meat, cheese or alcohol

No matter what you do for two people food&rent will be around 60% of your salary. Isn't it more convinient for that other person just to get a job?

Hello Borek, Rika,
Thanks for your information. I need to know one information regarding health insurance. For usual illness (fever, body pain, etc) how much it cost? Also any healt care system for pregnant ladies?? how much it cost per month?
Is there any family accomodation available in AGH University managed campus?
Thanks again.
Regards, Rajini.

I think you should contact AGH - my bet is that you will be already insured. But that's why I suggested to check details, it is quite likely that the sum offered is a total pay, from which insurance and taxes will be subtracted, leaving you with a net pay - lower than €750.

No idea about accommodation. They may have something, they may have not. Ask them.

Rika said:
- food: one person spends on food around 600 zl
Jesus, Rika. Where are you shopping, in Alma? Eating out every day would cost you that much, unless you only dine in fancy places. Cut it down to 400zł tops, unless you really can't wrap your head around cooking.

No way - an average meal in a bar/not fancy restaurant costs around 15zl which is 450zl for dinner only.

I don't shop in Alma but I don't need to in order to spend more. I just eat real ham, fish, nuts, vegetables, buy some coffe or juice during a day etc. Yes, you can eat for 400zl but it's very student-like food - noodles with cottage cheese/sausage for dinner, bread with cheap meat (or ketchup :d) for breakfast and fast-food cheeseburger or instant noodles for supper and you can't buy any coffe or juice during your work. If OP has pregnant wife then she can't eat crap like undergraduate students.

No, I actually only meant dining out. It never crossed my mind to eat breakfast out, to be honest. I agree it's untenable eating out three times a day.

Anyway, it's difficult to argue about those things on the net, as I'm sure our body weight and eating habits may differ, and we both may have different tolerances and definitions of what constitutes sub-par and what quality food.
Let me just say that I do manage to maintain a varied and satisfying diet that's free from noodles, ketchup, shoe soles and other desperate measures for 450-500/month, and leave it for Rajini as a point of comparison. But I like cooking and have no qualms about eating tripe or hearts, so I'll grant you this might be a somewhat finely-tuned achievement.

1. What is the average salary of a postdoc in Krakow?

The average salary of a postdoc in Krakow is around 4,500 PLN per month, which is equivalent to approximately 1,200 USD.

2. Are postdoc salaries in Krakow competitive compared to other cities?

Yes, postdoc salaries in Krakow are considered to be competitive compared to other cities in Poland. Krakow is one of the major academic and research hubs in the country, and offers a lower cost of living compared to other major cities such as Warsaw or Wroclaw.

3. Are there any additional benefits included in postdoc salaries in Krakow?

In addition to their salary, postdocs in Krakow may also receive benefits such as health insurance, holiday pay, and opportunities for professional development and networking.

4. Is the salary of a postdoc in Krakow negotiable?

In most cases, the salary of a postdoc in Krakow is not negotiable as it is determined by the institution or funding agency. However, there may be room for negotiation in some cases, especially for postdocs with specialized skills or experience.

5. Are there any tax implications for postdoc salaries in Krakow?

Yes, postdoc salaries in Krakow are subject to income tax and social security contributions. However, there are tax exemptions available for certain research grants and fellowships, so it is important to consult with a tax advisor for specific details.