Is the Synthesis of Sodium Dithionite Accurate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter asamaid1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sodium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
asamaid1
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
is the following reaction right?

2 NaHSO3 + Zn → Na2S2O4 + Zn(OH)2

because i tried this reaction but i m not getting any Na2S2O4. I got this reaction in wikipedia. And i found another reaction in the net which is following:

2 NaHSO3 + H2SO3 + Zn ─→ ZnSO3 + Na2S2O4 + 2 H2O

Which one is right? Plz anyone can help me?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Have you checked what the document (from which the wikipedia reactions is taken) says about reaction conditions?
 
Borek said:
Have you checked what the document (from which the wikipedia reactions is taken) says about reaction conditions?
No condition is stated there. please can u help me with more information. Thanks.
 
asamaid1 said:
No condition is stated there. please can u help me with more information. Thanks.

Sorry, I can't help you - but I am rather surprised by your statement. The document I fetched, while incomplete, says a lot about how this reaction is performed.
 
Really, where did u get that. I did find some information about the second reaction, but that is confusing. I did not find any information about the first. If u got any information please help me with that. I need that for my project. Thanks.
 
Have you checked the references? The equation is listed as coming for a paper published in 1929, and there is a link to this paper.