1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the system linear or nonlinear

1. Sep 8, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    3y(t)+2=x(t)

2. Relevant equations

k1y1(t) + k2y2(t) + 2(k1+k2) = k1x1(t)+k2x2(t)

3. The attempt at a solution

I know the system is non linear but I cannot explain why. It has something to do with 2(k1+k2) but I am unsure.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why do you say you know it's non-linear?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  4. Sep 8, 2016 #3

Mark44

How are you defining the term "linear"? In some contexts, this term implies that the graph of the relationship is a straight line. In the context of linear transformations, the conditions for linearity are that ##L(x_1 + x_2) = L(x_1) + L(x_2)## and that ##L(cx) = cL(x)##.

You put this equation in the Relevant equations section. How is it relevant to this problem?

5. Sep 9, 2016 #4
    it is both the properties you have described but I have combined them into one equation.

also it was marked as nonlinear in the solution manual

6. Sep 9, 2016 #5

Mark44

You could write the given equation as ##y(t) = \frac 1 3 x(t) - \frac 2 3##
    Now check the two properties separately.
    1) Is ##y(t_1 + t_2) = y(t_1) + y(t_2)##?
    2) Is ##y(k \cdot t_1) = k \cdot y(t_1)##?

If both of the above are true for all values of t, the relationship is linear; otherwise, it's nonlinear.

7. Sep 9, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think it is a bit ambiguous.

If your equation ##3y(t)+2 = x(t)## describes a "dynamical system", then it is not linear because if ##(x_1(t),y_(t))## and ##(x_2(t),y_2(t))## are two solutions, the pair ##(x_1(t)+x_2(t),y_1(t)+y_2(t))## is not a solution, nor is ##(cx_1(t),cy_2(t))## for a constant ##c \neq 1##.

On the other hand the equation ##x - 3y = 2## is what would normally be called "linear equation"---meaning that the left-hand-side in ##f(x,y) = c## is a linear function of ##x,y##. Perhaps that is a bit of abuse of language, but it is nevertheless standard usage in describing equations. We do something similar when we call a differential equation such as ##dy/dx + 2 y = x^2## a (non-homogeneous) linear differential equation!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted