Is the voltage from point A to B equal to the voltage across R2?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Voltage
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
EvLer
Messages
454
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I am asking to see if I understand voltage correctly:
This is what circuit looks like:
Code:
-----R1---A----R2---
|           +      |
Vs         v(t)    |
|           -      |
|_________B_______ |
As I see it, v(t)(voltage drop from A to B) is voltage across R2, is it correct?
Thank in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What? the sum of the voltage drop from R1 and R2 is equal to the EMF (battery).
 
Didn't want to start another thread, but now I have another question: after the switch in some circuit moves to a certain position I get following circuit:
Code:
 A-------R1--------------
                |        |
                |        |
             indctr     R2
                |        |
                |        |
 B-----------------------
Then voltage drop from A to B is sum of voltages across R1 and inductor (or R2), right? Then there is a current coming from A and divides into 2 (for inductor and R2)? Or does R1 not have any current?
Thanks again.
 
Last edited:
drop from A to B is Vr1 and 2*Vr2. Even though the inductor and r2 voltages are the same, they both must be added.
 
Why 2*VR2? they are in parallel. What am I missing here? Don't inductor and R2 follow KVL?