How to calculate detector voltage from resistances?

In summary, the problem involves finding the voltage across a detector in a circuit with several resistances and a battery. To simplify the problem, the resistances are first calculated in parallel and then added in series. The voltage across the detector can be found by using the formula for a voltage divider or by calculating the current through the resistances and using Ohm's law. The detector does not conduct current, but can still measure voltage due to its high resistance.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

nJME4b7.png

The resistances:
Ra = 10 ohm
Rb = 10 ohm
Rc = 10 ohm
Rd = 8 ohm

Battery = 10 volts

Voltage across detector = ?

Homework Equations

V = IR
(series) R = R1 + R2 + ...
(parallel) 1 / R = (1/R1) + (1/R2) + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

So to get the voltage, I need to find the total resistance and current. I tried to simplify the problem by calculating Ra and Rb in parallel, Rc and Rd in parallel, then adding up these resistances in series. So I get the total resistance to be:

Ra + Rb = ##\frac{1}{\frac{1}{10} + \frac{1}{10}}= 5## ohm
Rc + Rd = ##\frac{1}{\frac{1}{8} + \frac{1}{10}} = \frac{40}{9}## ohm

Ra + Rb + Rc + Rd = ##5 + \frac{40}{9} = \frac{85}{9}## ohm

So to get the current, I use V/R = I
Since battery is 10V:

##\frac{10}{\frac{85}{9}} = \frac{18}{17}A##

So now I need to find the voltage through this resistance, but V = RI doesn't work because I just get back the total voltage from the battery. Not sure what else to do here

Physics news on Phys.org
Ra and Rb (and Rc and Rd) are not in parallel. The (ideal) voltage detector does not conduct current.

Is Ra and Rc (Rb and Rd) in series?

OK, so if I add up the series first, can I then calculate the remaining 2 resistances in parallel?

PhizKid said:
OK, so if I add up the series first, can I then calculate the remaining 2 resistances in parallel?

You can. but it won't help. You have to calculate the voltage at the point between Ra and Rc, and at the point between Rb and Rd.

Ra and Rc form a voltage divider. You should know a formula for that . If yoiu don't, caculate the current throug Ra and Rc, and then the voltage drop across Rc.

Same thing for Rb and Rd

I'm not sure I understand the question. If there's no current through the detector, how can there be a voltage?

No current flows through an ideal voltmeter but it can still measure voltage. An ideal meter has very large resistance (aka infinite) so negligible current causes a voltage drop - if you insist on thinking about it that way.

I prefer to look at your diagram like this... You now have two Potential Divider chains. What is vd ?

Attachments

• Detector.png
    Detector.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 466

1. What is the formula for calculating detector voltage from resistances?

The formula for calculating detector voltage from resistances is V = IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance.

2. How do I determine the current in the detector circuit?

The current in the detector circuit can be determined by dividing the voltage by the total resistance in the circuit. This is known as Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R).

3. Can I use different units for voltage and resistance in the calculation?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent. For example, if the voltage is given in volts and the resistance is given in ohms, the result will be in amps (amperes).

4. How does changing the resistance affect the detector voltage?

Changing the resistance in the detector circuit will affect the voltage according to Ohm's Law. As the resistance increases, the voltage will decrease, and vice versa.

5. What if I have multiple resistors in the detector circuit?

If there are multiple resistors in the detector circuit, you can use the total resistance by adding all the resistances together. Then, use this total resistance in the formula V = IR to calculate the detector voltage.