Is the World's Highest Swing in Harbin Worth the Thrill?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Swing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
40 replies · 6K views
Huckleberry said:
Why is it that I would be more afraid of that swing than I would be going for a walk down a city street... in Watts?

I don't know.

Do you live near Watts? Maybe you just need more exposure. :biggrin:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, I don't live near Watts, and I've never been there. The closest I've been for a walk near there is North Hollywood. I've been around a bit though and seen a few tough streets in my lifetime and I'm no worse off for it.

I just thought it was odd that the chances for any kind of injury on this swing is very small, but I would still be very afraid to use it. Yet, the risk of injury for something as simple as driving a car or walking down just about any street is much higher, and I have no fear of that.

I've done some skydiving before and I was surprised at how easy it was to climb out onto the wing of a plane and let go. Yet, I don't think I would ever go bungee jumping. The ground is just too close, but not close enough!
 
Huckleberry said:
I just thought it was odd that the chances for any kind of injury on this swing is very small, but I would still be very afraid to use it. Yet, the risk of injury for something as simple as driving a car or walking down just about any street is much higher, and I have no fear of that.
Even though statistically driving a car or walking down a street, or stepping into a bathtub are more dangerous, the "perceived" danger is not as high. I could never get on that swing.

How'd you like to play tennis at the Burj Al Arab Hotel?
 

Attachments

  • Tennis_court.jpg
    Tennis_court.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Evo said:
Even though statistically driving a car or walking down a street, or stepping into a bathtub are more dangerous, the "perceived" danger is not as high. I could never get on that swing.

How'd you like to play tennis at the Burj Al Arab Hotel?
Careful with that lob. :smile: I wonder how many aces are served? :smile:
 
Evo said:
Even though statistically driving a car or walking down a street, or stepping into a bathtub are more dangerous, the "perceived" danger is not as high. I could never get on that swing.

How'd you like to play tennis at the Burj Al Arab Hotel?
Thankfully I don't play tennis. I may never play it again after seeing that photograph. I'll leave the perceived danger to the thrill seekers. That stuff is too scary for me. I'd rather pick up white-water rafting or shark photography.
 
Evo said:
I've never known a good swing to break.
Me either. It's always the bad ones.
 
jimmysnyder said:
Me either. It's always the bad ones.
:smile: So true. Let's hope that swing is a *good* one. :-p
 
I don't think I would play tennis up there. I am one of those people that gets so into the sport that I forget where I am at and would likely fall off.
 
Id love to have a parachute and just jump off the edge of that tennis court. That looks like fun.
 
Want to stay at the Burj Al-Arab, where Matt hit golf balls from the helipad?
I wonder where those things landed, or if Matt even cared.