Is there a Bound for x(t) in Terms of C_1 and C_2?

  • Thread starter Thread starter motherh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bounded
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
motherh
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Hi, I want to answer the following question:

x=x(t) is continuous on [0,T) and satisfies

1 ≤ x(t) ≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex] + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] x(s)(1+logx(s)) ds

for 0 ≤ t < T. Prove x(t) is bounded on [0,T].Using Gronwall's inequality I get to

x(t) ≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex] ∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] (1+logx(s)) ds )

≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex]t + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] logx(s) ds )

Can I say that this is less than C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex]T + ∫[itex]^{T}_{0}[/itex] logx(s) ds ) ?

I'm not too sure where to proceed from here. Would it be helpful to use x(s) > logx(s)?

Any help is appreciated!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anybody help at all? I'm not sure how to bound the integral of logx(s).
 
motherh said:
Hi, I want to answer the following question:

x=x(t) is continuous on [0,T) and satisfies

1 ≤ x(t) ≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex] + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] x(s)(1+logx(s)) ds

for 0 ≤ t < T. Prove x(t) is bounded on [0,T].
What does logx(s) mean?
motherh said:
Using Gronwall's inequality I get to

x(t) ≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex] ∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] (1+logx(s)) ds )

≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex]t + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] logx(s) ds )

Can I say that this is less than C[itex]_{1}[/itex]exp( C[itex]_{2}[/itex]T + ∫[itex]^{T}_{0}[/itex] logx(s) ds ) ?

I'm not too sure where to proceed from here. Would it be helpful to use x(s) > logx(s)?

Any help is appreciated!
 
motherh said:
Hi, I want to answer the following question:

x=x(t) is continuous on [0,T) and satisfies

1 ≤ x(t) ≤ C[itex]_{1}[/itex] + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]∫[itex]^{t}_{0}[/itex] x(s)(1+logx(s)) ds

for 0 ≤ t < T. Prove x(t) is bounded on [0,T].Using Gronwall's inequality

Gronwall's inequality will not help you here; your bound is not of the correct form.

You have
[tex]1 \leq x(t) \leq U(t) = C_1 + C_2 \int_0^t x(s)(1 + \log x(s))\,ds.[/tex]

The worst case scenario is [itex]x(t) = U(t)[/itex], which gives
[tex] U(t) = C_1 + C_2 \int_0^t U(s)(1 + \log U(s))\,ds.[/tex]

The right hand side is differentiable, so we obtain
[tex] \frac{dU}{dt} = C_2 U (1 + \log U)[/tex]
This can be solved subject to the initial condition [itex]U(0) = C_1[/itex] to obtain [itex]U(t)[/itex], and one can then check whether
[tex] \lim_{t \to T^{-}} U(t)[/tex]
is finite.