Is There a Canonical Injection from F((x)) to Q(F[[x]])?

  • Thread starter Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Injection
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
4,796
Reaction score
32

Homework Statement


Given a field F, I'm trying to find an injection from the set of formal Laurence series F((x))

[tex]\sum_{n\geq N}^{+\infty}a_nx^n, \ \ \ \ \ N\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

to the ring of fractions of formal power series [tex]\mathbb{Q}(F[[x]])[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}a_nx^n}{\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}b_nx^n}[/tex]

(where the denominator is not a divisor of 0 in F[[x]])I've tried all the obvious mapping I could think of, but they failed to be injections...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For instance, truncate the part of the series when n is negative.

Or send the part where n is negative on the denumenator.
 
One I would consider extremely obvious would be to map
[tex]\sum_{n\geq N}^{+\infty}a_nx^n[/tex]
to
[tex]\frac{\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}b_nx^n}{\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty}c_nx^n}[/tex]
where [itex]b_n= 0[/itex] if n< N, [itex]b_n= a_n[/itex] if [itex]n\ge N[/itex], [itex]c_0= 1[/tex], [itex]c_n= 0[/itex] for n> 0.[/itex]