Is there a differnt way to write this expression?

• Thread starter Firepanda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the given power series can be written as a function f(z) = SUM [(-1)n * (z^2/4)^n+1] starting at n=0, which can be simplified to f(z) = z-2 * SUM [(-1)n * (z^2/4)^n+1] starting at n=0. By recognizing that the series is a geometric series, it can be rewritten as f(z) = 1/(1-z^2/4) - 1, giving the final series as f(z) = z-2 * [1/(1-z^2/4) - 1].
Firepanda
f(z) = SUM [(-1)n

Where SUM = sum from n=0 to infinity

Looks to me like there isn't but there must be a simpler way to write that.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's divergent, isn't? The nth term doesn't approach 0.

Dick said:
It's divergent, isn't? The nth term doesn't approach 0.

The question is to write this power series as a function

2hn01gp.jpg

Last edited:
z^(2n)/n! isn't equal to e^(z^2). The SUM of the series z^(2n)/n! is e^(z^2). That would be fine if the (-1)^n weren't there. Can't you think of a function that's a lot like e^(z^2) that will give you the alternating sign in the series?

I just keep getting into the routine of trying to simply it like before. Do you mean replace e^(z^2) or multiply in some function f(z)/f(z)?

Firepanda said:
I just keep getting into the routine of trying to simply it like before. Do you mean replace e^(z^2) or multiply in some function f(z)/f(z)?

(-1)^n*z^(2n). Can you think of a way to write that as r^n for some number r? What would r be?

ahh yes

Last edited:
For the 2nd part I have it down to

z-2 SUM (-1)n.(z2/4)n+1

Is there anyway I can progress from here or should I go back and try a different way?

Firepanda said:
For the 2nd part I have it down to

z-2 SUM (-1)n.(z2/4)n+1

Is there anyway I can progress from here or should I go back and try a different way?

It's a geometric series.

Dick said:
It's a geometric series.

(z2/4)n+1 starting at n=0

= 1/(1-z2/4) - 1

=> Series = z-2 SUM (-1)n/(1-z2/4) + (-1)n+1

Firepanda said:
(z2/4)n+1 starting at n=0

= 1/(1-z2/4) - 1

=> Series = z-2 SUM (-1)n/(1-z2/4) + (-1)n+1

You just did the same wrong thing you did in the first problem. You replaced a term is the series with the sum of a series. And you missed the cue to do the same thing you did with the (-1)^n in the first problem. You series has the form a*r^n. r just might have a (-1) in it.

ah yes, i have my r now thanks, was simple after that!

Thanks alot

1. How do I know if there is a different way to write a mathematical expression?

One way to determine if there is a different way to write an expression is to simplify it and see if it can be rearranged in a different form using mathematical properties and rules.

2. Can different expressions have the same meaning?

Yes, different expressions can have the same meaning. This is often seen in algebra where expressions can be simplified or rearranged to have the same value.

3. Is it important to write expressions in different ways?

In some cases, it may be important to write expressions in different ways for clarity or to better suit the context in which it is being used. However, in most cases, the goal is to simplify and express an expression in the most efficient way.

4. Are there any tools or resources available to help me write an expression in a different way?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools, such as algebraic calculators and equation solvers, that can help you manipulate and simplify expressions in different forms.

5. How can I learn to write expressions in different ways?

The best way to learn how to write expressions in different ways is to practice and familiarize yourself with mathematical properties and rules. You can also consult textbooks, online resources, and seek guidance from a math teacher or tutor.