Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a name for these graphs?

1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    This is sort of a math question, sort of a signal processing engineering question.

I've found 3D graphs of real vs imaginary vs time/frequency to be very helpful in my understanding of Fourier transforms, complex signals, and the like. Is there a convenient/clever name for these graphs? I don't see them used very often, which I think is a bad thing.

Examples: 1 2 3 4 5

For instance, this isn't called "graph of time vs frequency vs amplitude"; it's called a "spectrogram". This isn't called "graph of frequency and phase vs amplitude on logarithmic axes"; it's called a "Bode plot".

Just wondering.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have not seen names for the first few plots you show. However, wavelts are quite common in vibrational analysis and that is what I have seen the majority of them referred to as.

The spectrogram you posted is also known as a waterfall plot. Although, I haven't seen one quite in that format. It is the same information, a spectrum in the frequency domain plotted against a time axis.

4. Dec 4, 2005 #3
    Yeah. I think a waterfall plot is just a specific type of spectrogram plot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?