1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a name for these graphs?

  1. Dec 4, 2005 #1
    This is sort of a math question, sort of a signal processing engineering question.

    I've found 3D graphs of real vs imaginary vs time/frequency to be very helpful in my understanding of Fourier transforms, complex signals, and the like. Is there a convenient/clever name for these graphs? I don't see them used very often, which I think is a bad thing.

    Examples: http://www.complextoreal.com/tfft2_files/image016.gif" [Broken]

    For instance, http://www.vnij.com/company/press/image_library/full_res/spectrogram.gif" [Broken] isn't called "graph of frequency and phase vs amplitude on logarithmic axes"; it's called a "Bode plot".

    Just wondering.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2005 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I have not seen names for the first few plots you show. However, wavelts are quite common in vibrational analysis and that is what I have seen the majority of them referred to as.

    The spectrogram you posted is also known as a waterfall plot. Although, I haven't seen one quite in that format. It is the same information, a spectrum in the frequency domain plotted against a time axis.
  4. Dec 4, 2005 #3
    Yeah. I think a waterfall plot is just a specific type of spectrogram plot.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook